Ooni Or Uuni Pizza Oven
Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be rather popular and also it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a quick and also very easy means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill yet incredibly functional considering that they can get to such a high temperature and prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as lastly got ours simply a couple of months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my techniques, ideas, and also pointers – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to pick from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also specs you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we suched as the ease of being able to utilize gas and also desired a larger size to ensure that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outdoor location may actually trigger some pleasure for you and also make pizza night more exciting!
This is a well-crafted, high quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane tank. Tracking down that gas tank and also having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, however below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time finding a lp tank, and then when we discovered one we needed to discover a place to get it filled. Luckily, our regional hardware shop had one left, and also the gas station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to take a trip much, but I called a TON of areas prior to I might also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might assume! Lower the heat, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a couple mins.
The great part is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the awesome area which provides you extra control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of space to relocate the pizza around as well as also a good distance in between the fire and the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare also swiftly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube videos that claimed turning the heat to low as well as cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temperature may be much easier. With that said said, our favored food preparation approach is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warmth to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or two for about 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit anxious regarding the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the warmth perfect as well as keep it relocating. I was happily surprised to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you truly start to get the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and topping. However honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult food preparation process. I could NOT have been much more wrong. Using the pizza oven is super easy and also I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Do not overwork the dough. The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. Since my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a expert, I actually lucked out. He recommends using your fingers to carefully develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms up until it gets big sufficient. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that very thin in the center. This will give you that signature wood discharged pizza oven appearance you’re seeking. , if the crust is too thick in the middle it will not cook all the way via.
- Do not add too numerous garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to guarantee that your pizza chefs via, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly advise adding half of what you ‘d normally include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Don’t get sidetracked. You desire your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was confident however doubtful that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred bits around, the crust hurts on the inside and also incredibly crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can attempt to remain to define just how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me simply claim, you will be impressed at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s low-cost as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit much more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I wasn’t sure if we must buy it or just try to find another thing similar online. But let me save you some time and energy. There is nothing around that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the absolute perfect size, includes a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it to and fro. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s worth. It was additionally quite easy to create – or at least I really did not hear my partner swear way too much while he was putting it together as well as I believe it was performed in less than an hour, despite a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable and also pretty inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve listened to that it’s super valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
>> Go here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty similar, however sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best bargain.
One point that truly enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no need to disinfect or disinfect the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the outside every now and then as dust settles on it, but aside from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of covered room to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of three) however I guarantee you, it’s truly not. You just connect the gas and also allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. I do say experience since I assume that making and preparing food truly can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a lot more work. In general, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is really a truly simple, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is rather very easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also very lightweight as well as portable so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside space, a little bit of storage space to maintain it dry, and appreciate having a beverage outside while you cook supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.