Outside pizza ovens are coming to be fairly prominent as well as it’s not hard to see why! They provide a simple and quick method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill however extremely flexible given that they can reach such a heat and also prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as ultimately obtained ours simply a couple of months earlier. I understand you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my tricks, suggestions, and ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to select from, which means there’s likely one that will fit your needs and also budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and also gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size as well as requirements you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the ease of having the ability to use gas and likewise wanted a larger dimension so that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior location might truly trigger some pleasure for you as well as make pizza night a lot more exciting!
This is a well-made, high quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely set up out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank. Tracking down that gas container and also having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, yet here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time finding a gas container, and then when we located one we needed to discover a place to get it filled up. Thankfully, our local hardware store had one left, and also the filling station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to travel far, but I called a TON of locations prior to I can also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may believe! Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also let it prepare for a pair mins.
The good component is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front right side is the trendy spot which gives you extra control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of room to move the pizza around as well as also a excellent range between the fire and the pizza itself in case it begins to cook also swiftly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. Nevertheless, for novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that said turning the warm to cooking and also reduced it for a bit longer at a lower temperature may be much easier. Keeping that said, our favored cooking method is to:
- Heat the oven on high for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warm to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or so for concerning 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit worried concerning the learning contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to obtain the warm perfect and maintain it relocating. Nonetheless, I was happily shocked to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you truly start to get the hang of it!
I believe we get a little much better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and also covering. Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just had not been fairly prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a difficult cooking procedure. I can NOT have been much more wrong. Using the pizza oven is extremely very easy as well as I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, however we utilize all-purpose with no concerns.
- Don’t roll the crust out also big unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to construct the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I typically separate a one pound ball of dough in two, and afterwards turn out two pizzas from that.
- The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I truly lucked out because my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a expert. This will give you that signature timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Don’t add too many toppings to your pizza. An additional means to make sure that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d advise including half of what you ‘d typically include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven.
- Do not get sidetracked. You want your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was unconvinced however enthusiastic that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles all over, the crust is tender on the within and very crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I could attempt to remain to describe how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will certainly be surprised at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s low-cost and cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d very recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I had not been certain if we need to buy it or simply search for another thing similar online. Allow me save you some time and also energy. There is nothing out there that is comparable to this table for less expensive. It’s the absolute best dimension, features a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your cash’s well worth. It was additionally pretty basic to create – or at least I didn’t hear my companion vouch excessive while he was putting it with each other as well as I think it was done in less than an hour, even with a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable and pretty affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer but I’ve listened to that it’s extremely valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and also prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite comparable, but in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best deal.
One point that actually enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s truly no requirement to sanitize or sterilize the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior every now and then as dust chooses it, but besides that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any protected room to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a lot of job to get the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of 3) yet I guarantee you, it’s actually not. You simply link the propane and let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience due to the fact that I believe that making and also cooking food really can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot even more job. I was anticipating the setup to be a hassle, the actual cooking and prepping to be a bit time-consuming, and also I had not been certain what the cleansing procedure required. Generally, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a actually basic, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is pretty simple. And clean-up is practically non-existent.
It’s additionally very light-weight as well as mobile so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside room, a little storage room to maintain it dry, and also take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.