Exterior pizza ovens are becoming rather prominent and also it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a easy and quick means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill but incredibly functional since they can get to such a high temperature as well as prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as ultimately obtained ours just a few months earlier. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my suggestions, tricks, and ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all viewpoints and also ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to choose from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands as well as budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and also gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and also specs you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we suched as the convenience of being able to use gas as well as also desired a bigger size so that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside location may truly spark some delight for you as well as make pizza evening more interesting!
This is a durable, high quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely set up out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
You will need to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane storage tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that lp tank and having it filled could have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, yet below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time finding a propane storage tank, and after that as soon as we discovered one we needed to find a place to get it filled up. The good news is, our regional equipment shop had one left, and also the gas station down the street can load them so we didn’t have to take a trip far, but I called a TON of locations prior to I might also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might think! Lower the warm, throw your pizza in, and let it prepare for a pair minutes.
The good component is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the cool area which provides you more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of room to move the pizza around and also a good range in between the pizza and the flame itself in case it begins to cook as well rapidly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that stated transforming the warm to cooking and also reduced it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature might be much easier. Keeping that stated, our preferred cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warm to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for about 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit worried regarding the discovering contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little difficult to get the warmth perfect as well as keep it relocating. Nevertheless, I was happily amazed to find that after simply a couple pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
I think we get a little far better each time as we best the dough shaping and topping. Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I just had not been quite all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a tough cooking process. I could NOT have been much more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely very easy and I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, as well as then scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the extra most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Do not strain the dough. The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out due to the fact that my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. He recommends utilizing your fingers to delicately produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms until it obtains large enough. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards extremely thin between. This will certainly give you that trademark wood fired pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. , if the crust is as well thick in the middle it won’t prepare all the means with.
- Do not include too several toppings to your pizza. Another means to make certain that your pizza chefs via, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d typically include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that particular pizza. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to completely burned immediately.
Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was skeptical however confident that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza although it just makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred little bits around, the crust hurts on the inside as well as very crisp on the outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might attempt to continue to describe exactly how tasty the pizza is, yet let me just say, you will be amazed at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s affordable and cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly recommend the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit extra cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I had not been certain if we need to purchase it or just attempt to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your money’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming and rather budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s super useful in recognizing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and is ready to prepare!
>> Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite comparable, but in some cases they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the best bargain.
One point that actually lured me about the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no requirement to disinfect the within or decontaminate of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior every so often as dirt chooses it, however besides that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of protected area to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni prepared up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of three) but I ensure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You just link the propane and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely achievable on a weeknight and we have not prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience due to the fact that I believe that cooking as well as making food actually can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a lot even more job. Generally, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a truly straightforward, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty simple.
It’s likewise really lightweight as well as mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor space, a little storage area to maintain it dry, and enjoy having a beverage outside while you cook supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.