Ooni Of Ife’s Daughter
Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming fairly preferred and it’s not difficult to see why! They use a easy as well as quick way to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill however extremely versatile since they can get to such a high temperature and also prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and finally obtained ours simply a few months ago. I know you’ve been curious concerning whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my suggestions, thoughts, as well as methods – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints as well as ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to choose from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands as well as budget. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also specs you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the ease of being able to use gas as well as also desired a larger size so that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior area may really spark some joy for you and also make pizza evening much more amazing!
Likewise, this is a well-crafted, quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely assembled out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas tank. I’m not sure why, yet here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time locating a gas storage tank, and after that once we found one we had to discover a place to obtain it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might assume! It was absolutely easier than I expected it to be. You just turn it up to high and let it heat up for 20 mins once you connect the propane storage tank. After that reduced the warmth, toss your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple minutes. My partner and also I were both happily shocked at exactly how easy the Ooni is to make use of as well as just how fun it is to view the pizza cook!
The wonderful part is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the amazing area which provides you much more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of area to relocate the pizza around and additionally a excellent distance between the flame and the pizza itself in case it starts to cook also swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. For amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that claimed transforming the warmth to reduced as well as cooking it for a little bit much longer at a lower temp could be easier. Keeping that claimed, our liked food preparation approach is to:
- Heat the oven on high for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warmth to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit nervous regarding the discovering contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to get the heat ideal as well as maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly shocked to find that after simply a couple pizzas you really begin to obtain the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply had not been rather ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a challenging food preparation process. Utilizing the pizza oven is super simple as well as I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel. This will make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, however we use all-purpose with no problems.
- Don’t roll the crust out too huge unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to construct the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I typically separate a one pound round of dough in 2, and afterwards present two pizzas from that.
- The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out because my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist. This will certainly give you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Don’t include too many toppings to your pizza. An additional means to guarantee that your pizza chefs via, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d normally contribute to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and also the even more toppings you have, the trickier it is. Keep it basic and also top gently. This is not the time to make your trademark added extra cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly melted immediately.
Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hopeful however hesitant that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost similar to wood-fired pizza even though it only uses gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred littles all over, the crust is tender on the within as well as incredibly crisp outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could attempt to continue to describe how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me just say, you will certainly be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s inexpensive and also chefs really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. I wasn’t sure if we must buy it or just search for something else comparable online. But let me conserve you some time as well as energy. There is nothing around that approaches this table for cheaper. It’s the outright perfect size, features a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it to and fro. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your cash’s worth. It was additionally pretty easy to create – or a minimum of I really did not hear my companion vow too much while he was putting it together and also I assume it was performed in less than an hr, despite a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off too. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable as well as quite cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s very practical in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as is ready to prepare!
>> Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty similar, but often they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the very best deal.
One point that actually tempted me about the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s truly no need to sanitize or disinfect the within of it. Obviously, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior from time to time as dust chooses it, but other than that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage as well as it doesn’t use up excessive area. Maintaining it out of the snow as well as rain will aid it last longer. If you do not have any kind of covered space to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni all established up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of three) but I guarantee you, it’s actually not. You simply link the propane and let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience due to the fact that I assume that cooking and also making food really can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a great deal more work. Generally, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a really simple, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is rather easy.
It’s also very lightweight as well as mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior area, a bit of storage space to maintain it dry, and delight in having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.