Outside pizza ovens are becoming quite popular as well as it’s not hard to see why! They offer a fast as well as simple means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill however extremely versatile given that they can get to such a high temperature and also cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as finally got ours just a few months earlier. I recognize you’ve been curious about whether I think it’s worth the hype or not so I’m right here to share my tricks, suggestions, and ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins and also can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to pick from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands and also budget plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber as well as gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and specs you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we suched as the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas and likewise wanted a larger size to ensure that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outside location might really trigger some joy for you and make pizza night more amazing!
This is a well-made, quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas container. I’m not certain why, however here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time discovering a gas container, and after that as soon as we found one we had to locate a area to obtain it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could assume! Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also let it cook for a couple mins.
The wonderful part is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the amazing area which offers you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of space to move the pizza around and also a good range between the fire as well as the pizza itself in case it starts to cook too quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that claimed transforming the warm to reduced and also cooking it for a little bit longer at a reduced temp may be simpler. Keeping that said, our chosen cooking method is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warmth to low and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or so for concerning 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit anxious regarding the knowing curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the warm perfect and maintain it moving. I was pleasantly amazed to discover that after just a pair pizzas you actually start to obtain the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just had not been fairly all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging food preparation process. Utilizing the pizza oven is very very easy and also I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel also. This will make it simpler to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, however we use all-purpose without any issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out also large unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally divide a one extra pound round of dough in two, and then roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist. He advises utilizing your fingers to delicately produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms till it obtains large sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards extremely thin in the center. This will give you that signature timber discharged pizza oven texture you’re searching for. If the crust is too thick between it will not prepare right with.
- Don’t add as well lots of garnishes to your pizza. Another means to make certain that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d normally include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven.
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was confident but cynical that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza although it only uses gas. You get those flawlessly charred little bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside as well as incredibly crisp outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can try to remain to describe how tasty the pizza is, but let me simply claim, you will be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s cost-effective and cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely advise the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit much more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we should purchase it or just try to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually obtaining your cash’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off too. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming and also rather budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s incredibly useful in recognizing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and also is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite comparable, yet often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the best deal.
One point that actually lured me about the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no requirement to sterilize the within or decontaminate of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the outside once in a while as dust decides on it, however aside from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and also it doesn’t occupy excessive area. Keeping it out of the snow and rain will certainly assist it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any covered area to save it however.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a great deal of job to get the Ooni ready up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of three) but I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just attach the gas and let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s totally workable on a weeknight and also we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience due to the fact that I think that making and also cooking food truly can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal more work. Overall, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a actually easy, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is rather simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s also extremely light-weight as well as portable so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside room, a little bit of storage area to maintain it dry, and also appreciate having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.