Outside pizza ovens are becoming fairly popular and also it’s not tough to see why! They supply a simple and quick way to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a classic grill however extremely flexible because they can reach such a high temperature and also prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as finally obtained ours just a few months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered concerning whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my thoughts, pointers, as well as techniques – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and also point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to choose from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your demands as well as budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood as well as gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and specifications you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we suched as the ease of having the ability to make use of gas and additionally wanted a bigger size so that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your outside location might actually spark some happiness for you and also make pizza evening a lot more exciting!
This is a well-crafted, high quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely assembled out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
You will certainly require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that propane tank and also having it loaded may have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m unsure why, yet here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time discovering a propane tank, and afterwards once we found one we had to locate a area to get it filled up. The good news is, our regional equipment store had one left, and also the filling station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to travel much, however I called a TON of places before I can even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may think! Lower the heat, toss your pizza in, and also allow it prepare for a couple mins.
The wonderful component is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the cool spot which gives you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of area to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent distance between the fire as well as the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare also rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that stated transforming the heat to cooking as well as reduced it for a little bit much longer at a lower temperature could be easier. With that claimed, our liked cooking approach is to:
- Warm the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to low and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for about 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a bit worried regarding the understanding curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little difficult to get the warmth ideal and also maintain it relocating. Nonetheless, I was happily surprised to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
I believe we obtain a little better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and also topping. Yet truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in package for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t rather all set to tackle what I believed was mosting likely to be a challenging food preparation process. I can NOT have actually been extra wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is very simple and I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently powder the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it less complicated to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, but we utilize all-purpose with no issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out also big unless you’re really comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly split a one pound sphere of dough in two, and after that present 2 pizzas from that.
- The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out due to the fact that my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional. This will certainly give you that trademark wood fired pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Don’t add too many toppings to your pizza. An additional way to make sure that your pizza chefs via, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d advise including half of what you ‘d usually contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a regular oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and the more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. Keep it leading and also basic gently. This is not the time to make your trademark extra additional cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly shed immediately.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was unconvinced yet hopeful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza although it just utilizes gas. You get those flawlessly charred little bits all over, the crust hurts on the within as well as super crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I can attempt to continue to define how delicious the pizza is, however let me just state, you will be amazed at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s cost-effective and chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d very recommend the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit a lot more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I wasn’t certain if we need to buy it or just try to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels also. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming and also rather budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s very useful in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite similar, but often they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the most effective deal.
Something that actually attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no need to sterilize the within or disinfect of it. Clearly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside every now and then as dirt decides on it, but apart from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t take up too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rain will certainly help it last much longer. If you don’t have any kind of protected area to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may feel like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni ready up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of three) however I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you simply link the propane as well as allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s completely workable on a weeknight and also we have not prepared a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. Because I assume that making as well as preparing food truly can be an experience, I do say experience.
My total ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a great deal more job. I was anticipating the configuration to be a trouble, the actual prepping as well as preparing to be a little bit time-consuming, as well as I had not been certain what the cleaning process required. Generally, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a actually basic, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is quite simple. And clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s additionally very lightweight and also mobile so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior area, a little storage area to maintain it completely dry, as well as enjoy having a drink outside while you cook supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.