Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being fairly popular and it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a simple and quick means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill however super versatile considering that they can get to such a heat and prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and lastly got ours just a few months ago. I know you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my ideas, tips, as well as methods – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and also point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to choose from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands as well as spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also specs you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we liked the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas as well as additionally desired a larger size so that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor area may actually spark some joy for you and also make pizza evening extra exciting!
Likewise, this is a well-made, high quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for many years as long as you look after it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that propane tank and having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not sure why, however below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time discovering a gas container, and afterwards when we located one we needed to discover a location to get it filled up. Thankfully, our regional equipment shop had one left, as well as the gas station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to travel far, but I called a TON of locations before I might even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may believe! It was definitely easier than I expected it to be. As soon as you connect the propane storage tank, you just turn it as much as high and let it heat up for 20 mins. Then lower the warm, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a couple mins. My companion and I were both pleasantly stunned at how simple the Ooni is to make use of as well as how enjoyable it is to enjoy the pizza chef!
The nice component is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the great area which gives you much more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of room to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a good distance in between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it begins to cook as well swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. Nonetheless, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that stated turning the warm to low and cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temp could be less complicated. With that said claimed, our favored food preparation approach is to:
- Warm the oven over for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or so for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit nervous regarding the knowing curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the warm perfect as well as maintain it moving. However, I was pleasantly amazed to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you truly begin to master it!
I believe we get a little far better each time as we ideal the dough shaping as well as covering. Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been fairly prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult cooking process. I could NOT have been much more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is extremely very easy and I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the extra most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. Because my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional, I really lucked out. He advises using your fingers to carefully create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it backward and forward in between your hands/forearms up until it gets big enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards extremely slim in the center. This will certainly offer you that signature wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t prepare all the method via.
- Don’t add as well many garnishes to your pizza. An additional way to make sure that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven.
- Do not get distracted. You want your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to completely shed in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was confident however unconvinced that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost identical to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You get those perfectly charred bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside as well as super crisp outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might attempt to continue to explain exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me simply claim, you will be astonished at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s economical and cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit much more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we must buy it or just try to find another thing comparable online. However let me save you time as well as power. There is absolutely nothing around that is comparable to this table for less expensive. It’s the outright best dimension, features a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s worth. It was likewise quite easy to create – or at the very least I really did not hear my companion swear too much while he was putting it together and also I think it was carried out in less than an hr, despite having a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels also. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute and also rather budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s super helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather comparable, however sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the very best deal.
Something that really attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no requirement to decontaminate or disinfect the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the outside periodically as dirt decides on it, yet aside from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage as well as it does not occupy excessive area. Keeping it out of the snow and rainfall will aid it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any protected area to store it though.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a great deal of job to get the Ooni all established up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of three) yet I assure you, it’s truly not. You just connect the gas and also allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience because I assume that preparing and also making food truly can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a great deal more job. I was anticipating the configuration to be a inconvenience, the real cooking as well as prepping to be a bit taxing, and also I had not been sure what the cleansing procedure involved. Generally, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a actually easy, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty simple. As well as clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s additionally extremely lightweight and portable so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside area, a little bit of storage room to keep it completely dry, and enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.