Ooni Of Ife Vs Olugbo Of Ugbo…two Thrones, Two Kingdoms, One Giant Ego!
Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be fairly popular as well as it’s not hard to see why! They use a simple and also quick way to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill however super functional given that they can get to such a high temperature and prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as ultimately obtained ours just a couple of months back. I understand you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my suggestions, thoughts, as well as tricks – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands and budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and also gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as specs you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of being able to utilize gas and also wanted a larger size to make sure that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your exterior location might truly spark some joy for you as well as make pizza evening extra interesting!
This is a well-made, high quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely put together out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas tank. I’m not sure why, yet below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time finding a propane container, and after that as soon as we found one we had to locate a location to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could think! Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and let it cook for a pair mins.
The wonderful component is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the amazing place which gives you extra control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of area to move the pizza around and likewise a excellent distance between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare also promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. Nevertheless, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that stated transforming the warm to cooking as well as low it for a bit much longer at a lower temperature might be less complicated. With that said stated, our liked food preparation approach is to:
- Warm the oven on high for about 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the warm to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit anxious regarding the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little difficult to get the warm just right as well as maintain it moving. However, I was happily amazed to locate that after just a couple pizzas you really begin to master it!
I think we get a little better each time as we excellent the dough shaping as well as topping. Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just had not been quite prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult cooking procedure. I can NOT have been extra incorrect. Using the pizza oven is very very easy as well as I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel as well. This will certainly make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, but we use all-purpose with no issues.
- Do not roll the crust out too huge unless you’re extremely comfortable with the process of relocate. You’ll need to construct the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly divide a one pound sphere of dough in 2, and after that roll out two pizzas from that.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. I truly lucked out since my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional. He advises using your fingers to delicately create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth between your hands/forearms till it obtains big enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then really slim in the middle. This will certainly provide you that trademark timber fired pizza oven texture you’re seeking. If the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t prepare all the way through.
- Do not add way too many toppings to your pizza. Another means to make certain that your pizza chefs via, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and the more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. So maintain it leading and also easy gently. This is not the time to make your trademark additional additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain distracted. You want your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to completely burned immediately.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was doubtful yet enthusiastic that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza even though it only makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside as well as incredibly crisp on the outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might attempt to continue to explain just how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive and chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit extra difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I wasn’t certain if we need to buy it or just try to find something else similar online. For $250 you are actually obtaining your cash’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off also. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable as well as quite affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s incredibly handy in understanding if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and also is ready to prepare!
>> Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite similar, but occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the very best offer.
One point that actually enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no requirement to disinfect the inside or disinfect of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior every so often as dust decides on it, yet apart from that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any type of covered area to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could feel like a lot of job to get the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of 3) however I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just attach the propane and let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s totally workable on a weeknight and also we have not prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. Since I think that making and cooking food truly can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My general thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a lot more work. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a inconvenience, the real cooking and also prepping to be a bit taxing, and I had not been sure what the cleaning process involved. On the whole, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a truly simple, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty easy. As well as clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s likewise really light-weight and portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor room, a little bit of storage room to keep it dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare supper, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.