Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be quite preferred and also it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a very easy and also fast means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill yet very flexible since they can reach such a high temperature and cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as lastly got ours simply a few months back. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my ideas, pointers, as well as methods – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and also point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to choose from, which indicates there’s likely one that will fit your needs and spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and also specs you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to make use of gas as well as also wanted a bigger size so that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outside area might really spark some happiness for you as well as make pizza night a lot more exciting!
Additionally, this is a durable, high quality cooking device that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you look after it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally constructed out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp container. I’m not certain why, however right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time finding a lp storage tank, and also then as soon as we located one we had to discover a place to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could assume! Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and also let it prepare for a couple minutes.
The nice part is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the trendy place which gives you a lot more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of space to move the pizza around and also a good range in between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it begins to prepare also swiftly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. For novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that stated turning the heat to cooking as well as reduced it for a little bit much longer at a lower temperature might be much easier. With that said stated, our chosen food preparation approach is to:
- Warmth the oven above for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie as well as the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit nervous about the understanding curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little complicated to obtain the warmth ideal as well as keep it relocating. I was pleasantly stunned to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you truly begin to obtain the hang of it!
I think we get a little much better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and covering. Yet truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I simply had not been rather all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult food preparation process. I might NOT have been more wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is super simple as well as I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel. This will make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, however we make use of all-purpose without any problems.
- You’ll have to set up the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, as well as then run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the extra likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not strain the dough. The trick to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. I truly lucked out since my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist. He suggests using your fingers to delicately produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms until it gets big enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that really slim in the middle. This will certainly provide you that trademark wood fired pizza oven texture you’re searching for. If the crust is also thick in the center it won’t prepare all the way through.
- Do not include too lots of toppings to your pizza. One more way to ensure that your pizza chefs through, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Don’t get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to completely burned in a matter of seconds.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was confident but hesitant that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just utilizes gas. You get those flawlessly charred bits throughout, the crust is tender on the inside and extremely crisp on the outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can try to continue to define just how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me just say, you will be amazed at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s economical and also cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly advise the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit extra cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth about. If we ought to acquire it or simply try to locate something else comparable online, I had not been sure. However let me conserve you some time and also power. There is nothing available that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the outright excellent dimension, includes a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate backward and forward. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s worth. It was also pretty straightforward to create – or at the very least I really did not hear my companion vouch way too much while he was placing it with each other and I assume it was carried out in less than an hour, despite having a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off too. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming and rather economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s incredibly practical in knowing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite similar, however often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the most effective bargain.
One point that actually enticed me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no demand to decontaminate or disinfect the inside of it. Clearly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior every so often as dust picks it, however apart from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any protected space to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a lot of work to get the Ooni ready up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of three) however I guarantee you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just connect the propane and let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s totally workable on a weeknight and we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. Due to the fact that I believe that making and also cooking food actually can be an experience, I do say experience.
My general thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a whole lot even more work. I was expecting the arrangement to be a problem, the real cooking and also prepping to be a little bit time-consuming, as well as I wasn’t sure what the cleansing process required. Generally, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a actually simple, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is rather simple. As well as clean-up is essentially non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s likewise very lightweight and portable so I can totally see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor area, a little bit of storage area to keep it completely dry, as well as delight in having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.