Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming rather popular and it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a quick and easy method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill however very versatile considering that they can get to such a heat and cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and also lastly got ours just a few months earlier. I understand you’ve been curious about whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my methods, ideas, and tips – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas as well as opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to choose from, which implies there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements and also budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood as well as gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the size as well as specifications you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we suched as the ease of being able to make use of gas as well as likewise wanted a larger dimension to ensure that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your exterior area may truly trigger some pleasure for you as well as make pizza night much more exciting!
This is a durable, quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it a minimum of a pair times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally constructed out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas container. Locating that propane tank and also having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, yet below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time finding a lp container, and afterwards as soon as we discovered one we needed to find a area to get it loaded. Fortunately, our local equipment store had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to travel much, but I called a TON of areas before I might also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could assume! Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a pair minutes.
The great part is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the amazing area which offers you much more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of space to move the pizza around as well as additionally a great range between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it begins to cook also promptly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. However, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that claimed transforming the warmth to cooking as well as low it for a bit longer at a lower temp might be easier. Keeping that stated, our preferred food preparation approach is to:
- Warm the oven on high for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the heat to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for concerning 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit worried regarding the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the warm ideal and also maintain it moving. Nonetheless, I was happily stunned to find that after simply a pair pizzas you really start to master it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just had not been rather all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a hard cooking process. Using the pizza oven is super very easy and I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel. This will make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, but we use all-purpose with no problems.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, as well as after that run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the much more most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out since my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. This will offer you that signature timber discharged pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t add too lots of garnishes to your pizza. Another way to guarantee that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Don’t get sidetracked. You want your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to flawlessly melted immediately.
Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hesitant however enthusiastic that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You get those completely charred little bits around, the crust hurts on the inside as well as very crisp on the outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might try to remain to explain exactly how tasty the pizza is, yet let me simply state, you will certainly be amazed at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s inexpensive and also cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I had not been certain if we should buy it or simply try to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels too. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and quite budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s super useful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty comparable, but in some cases they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the best bargain.
One point that really tempted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no requirement to decontaminate or sanitize the within of it. Certainly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior from time to time as dust chooses it, yet other than that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any covered area to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a whole lot of work to get the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of 3) but I guarantee you, it’s truly not. You just link the lp and allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience due to the fact that I think that cooking and making food really can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a great deal even more work. In general, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is really a really easy, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and preparing the pizzas is rather easy.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s additionally very lightweight and also mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior space, a little storage room to keep it completely dry, and also appreciate having a beverage outside while you cook supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.