Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be rather popular as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a quick and simple method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill however incredibly functional since they can reach such a high temperature and cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and also finally got ours simply a couple of months back. I understand you’ve wondered concerning whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my thoughts, suggestions, as well as methods – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views as well as ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to select from, which implies there’s most likely one that will fit your demands as well as budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the size as well as specifications you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we suched as the simplicity of being able to use gas and likewise desired a bigger size to make sure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your outdoor area might actually spark some delight for you as well as make pizza evening more exciting!
This is a well-crafted, high quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally set up out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank. Tracking down that gas storage tank and having it loaded may have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m not exactly sure why, however right here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time locating a lp storage tank, and after that as soon as we discovered one we had to find a location to get it filled up. Luckily, our regional hardware shop had one left, and also the gasoline station down the street can load them so we really did not have to travel much, however I called a TON of areas before I can even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could think! Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple minutes.
The wonderful component is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the cool area which offers you more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of space to move the pizza around as well as also a good distance between the flame and the pizza itself in case it starts to cook also swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube videos that said turning the warm to cooking as well as low it for a little bit much longer at a lower temperature could be less complicated. With that said said, our liked cooking approach is to:
- Warm the oven above for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Lower the heat to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or so for about 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit nervous concerning the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little tricky to obtain the warm ideal as well as maintain it moving. I was happily surprised to find that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to obtain the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t fairly all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard cooking process. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly very easy as well as I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Gently flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel also. This will certainly make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, however we utilize all-purpose with no concerns.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, as well as after that scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the a lot more likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out since my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. This will certainly give you that trademark timber discharged pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Don’t add too many garnishes to your pizza. One more means to make sure that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d generally include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a routine oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and the even more toppings you have, the trickier it is. Maintain it leading as well as basic lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature added added cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was hesitant however enthusiastic that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza although it only utilizes gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the within as well as extremely crisp outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can attempt to continue to define just how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will certainly be surprised at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s cost-effective and cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit much more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth about. I wasn’t certain if we must get it or just try to find something else similar online. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and pretty inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s super useful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty similar, yet sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the most effective deal.
Something that really enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no need to sterilize the within or disinfect of it. Obviously, you’ll require to wipe down the outside periodically as dirt decides on it, but aside from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t take up too much area. Keeping it out of the snow and rain will certainly aid it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any kind of covered space to save it however.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a whole lot of job to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of three) but I guarantee you, it’s truly not. You just link the gas and let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience since I believe that cooking as well as making food actually can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a great deal even more job. I was expecting the configuration to be a trouble, the real cooking and also prepping to be a bit lengthy, as well as I had not been certain what the cleansing procedure required. On the whole, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is really a truly easy, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and cooking the pizzas is pretty easy. And clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s also very light-weight and also portable so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside space, a little bit of storage area to maintain it dry, and also enjoy having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.