Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being rather preferred as well as it’s not hard to see why! They supply a fast as well as very easy method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill but incredibly functional since they can get to such a high temperature as well as cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as ultimately obtained ours just a couple of months ago. I know you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my techniques, tips, and thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts as well as opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to select from, which means there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also specifications you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas as well as also desired a bigger size to ensure that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside location may actually spark some delight for you and also make pizza night much more interesting!
This is a reliable, quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally put together out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp storage tank. Tracking down that lp container and having it filled might have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, however below on the West coast, we had a hell of a time locating a lp tank, and afterwards as soon as we discovered one we had to find a place to get it filled. Luckily, our local hardware shop had one left, and the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to take a trip much, yet I called a TON of places before I might even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could believe! It was most definitely much easier than I anticipated it to be. You just turn it up to high as well as allow it heat up for 20 minutes as soon as you link the propane tank. Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and also let it cook for a couple minutes. My companion and also I were both pleasantly surprised at exactly how easy the Ooni is to use and also exactly how enjoyable it is to enjoy the pizza chef!
The great part is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the amazing spot which provides you much more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of area to move the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent distance in between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it starts to cook too swiftly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that said transforming the warmth to reduced and also cooking it for a bit longer at a lower temp may be easier. With that said claimed, our favored cooking approach is to:
- Heat the oven over for about 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warmth to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit anxious about the discovering contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the warmth perfect and maintain it moving. I was pleasantly stunned to discover that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
I believe we get a little better each time as we excellent the dough shaping as well as topping. Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a tough food preparation process. I could NOT have actually been a lot more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is super very easy and I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well big unless you’re very comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually divide a one extra pound sphere of dough in 2, and after that turn out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. Because my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist, I actually lucked out. He advises using your fingers to gently create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains large sufficient. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that very slim in the center. This will provide you that trademark timber fired pizza oven texture you’re seeking. , if the crust is too thick in the center it won’t cook all the means via.
- Don’t add a lot of toppings to your pizza. One more method to ensure that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it really minimally. I ‘d advise adding half of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and the even more garnishes you have, the harder it is. So keep it top as well as straightforward lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark additional added cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. You desire your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to completely shed immediately.
Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was doubtful yet confident that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza although it only makes use of gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits around, the crust is tender on the inside and super crisp outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might try to continue to describe exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me simply say, you will certainly be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s affordable and chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d highly recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit much more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth about. If we should acquire it or simply try to find something else similar online, I had not been certain. Let me save you some time as well as energy. There is nothing available that is comparable to this table for less costly. It’s the outright ideal size, features a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s worth. It was likewise quite basic to put together – or at the very least I really did not hear my companion swear too much while he was placing it with each other and I think it was carried out in less than an hour, despite a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off as well. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute as well as rather inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s extremely handy in understanding if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and also prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather similar, however in some cases they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the best offer.
Something that truly enticed me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no need to sanitize or sterilize the within of it. Certainly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside every now and then as dirt settles on it, yet apart from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of protected room to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of three) however I guarantee you, it’s truly not. You just attach the lp and also allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience because I believe that making and preparing food truly can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a lot even more job. I was expecting the arrangement to be a problem, the real prepping as well as preparing to be a bit time-consuming, and I wasn’t sure what the cleansing process required. Generally, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a actually straightforward, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty very easy. As well as clean-up is basically non-existent.
It’s also very light-weight and also mobile so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior room, a little storage area to keep it completely dry, and also enjoy having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.