Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be fairly preferred and also it’s not tough to see why! They offer a simple and fast means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill yet super flexible considering that they can get to such a high temperature as well as cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and lastly obtained ours simply a few months back. I understand you’ve been curious regarding whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my pointers, techniques, and ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to choose from, which suggests there’s likely one that will fit your needs as well as budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and specifications you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to make use of gas and also desired a bigger size to make sure that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your outside area may really trigger some pleasure for you and make pizza evening extra amazing!
Additionally, this is a well-made, top quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely constructed out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank. Tracking down that gas container and having it filled might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not sure why, however here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time discovering a propane tank, and afterwards as soon as we located one we needed to locate a location to get it filled up. Fortunately, our local equipment shop had one left, and also the filling station down the street can load them so we didn’t have to travel much, but I called a TON of locations prior to I could even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could believe! Reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a pair minutes.
The good part is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the cool place which offers you a lot more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of room to relocate the pizza around and also a great range between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it begins to cook as well quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. Nonetheless, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that stated turning the heat to reduced and also cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temp could be much easier. With that said, our chosen cooking technique is to:
- Warmth the oven above for about 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warm to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a bit anxious regarding the understanding curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little tricky to get the warmth ideal and keep it moving. I was happily surprised to discover that after just a couple pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
I assume we get a little far better each time as we ideal the dough shaping as well as covering. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been quite ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult food preparation procedure. I might NOT have been much more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is very very easy and also I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, yet we use all-purpose without any problems.
- Do not roll the crust out also huge unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to construct the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally split a one pound round of dough in 2, and after that present two pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really prevailed because my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional. He recommends using your fingers to carefully create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms till it obtains large sufficient. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards very slim in the middle. This will certainly give you that signature wood discharged pizza oven appearance you’re seeking. If the crust is as well thick between it will not prepare right via.
- Do not add as well lots of toppings to your pizza. Another means to ensure that your pizza chefs via, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to completely burned in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was doubtful but hopeful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza even though it only utilizes gas. You get those flawlessly charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the within as well as very crisp outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I can attempt to remain to explain exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me simply say, you will certainly be impressed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s low-cost as well as cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit extra troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I wasn’t certain if we ought to purchase it or just attempt to discover something else similar online. For $250 you are really getting your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels too. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very adorable and rather cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s super helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather similar, but sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the very best offer.
One point that really enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no demand to disinfect the inside or decontaminate of it. Clearly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside every so often as dust decides on it, however apart from that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage as well as it doesn’t occupy way too much area. Keeping it out of the snow and also rain will certainly aid it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any kind of protected room to save it though.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of 3) but I assure you, it’s actually not. You simply link the lp and also let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience due to the fact that I think that cooking and also making food truly can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot even more work. Overall, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a actually basic, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is pretty very easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s likewise really light-weight and also portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor space, a little bit of storage room to keep it dry, as well as appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.