Outside pizza ovens are ending up being quite prominent as well as it’s not hard to see why! They offer a fast and also very easy way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill yet extremely versatile considering that they can reach such a heat and cook all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as ultimately got ours just a few months ago. I know you’ve wondered regarding whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my ideas, methods, as well as ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to choose from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your requirements as well as budget. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and requirements you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we liked the simplicity of being able to make use of gas and additionally wanted a bigger size to ensure that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outdoor location might really spark some joy for you and make pizza evening much more exciting!
This is a well-crafted, top quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely set up out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to buy a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank. Locating that gas storage tank and also having it loaded may have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, but right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a propane tank, and afterwards when we located one we needed to locate a location to get it filled. Luckily, our regional equipment shop had one left, and the filling station down the street can load them so we really did not have to take a trip far, but I called a TON of areas prior to I can even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might think! Reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a couple minutes.
The nice component is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front best side is the trendy place which offers you extra control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of room to relocate the pizza around as well as also a good range between the fire and the pizza itself in case it starts to cook too promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. However, for novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that said transforming the heat to reduced as well as cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp could be less complicated. With that stated, our liked cooking approach is to:
- Heat the oven on high for about 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the heat to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or so for concerning 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit nervous regarding the understanding contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the warm just right and keep it moving. I was happily amazed to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you truly start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just wasn’t rather prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough food preparation procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely easy and I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out too big unless you’re very comfortable with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally divide a one extra pound sphere of dough in two, and after that turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. I really prevailed due to the fact that my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional. He advises utilizing your fingers to delicately create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it to and fro in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains huge sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards very slim between. This will offer you that trademark wood fired pizza oven structure you’re seeking. If the crust is also thick in the center it will not cook completely via.
- Don’t add too lots of garnishes to your pizza. An additional means to guarantee that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d normally include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Do not get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to completely burned in a matter of seconds.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was cynical but enthusiastic that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza although it only utilizes gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles throughout, the crust hurts on the inside as well as super crisp outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might try to continue to explain exactly how tasty the pizza is, however let me simply state, you will be astonished at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s affordable and cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit extra cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we ought to buy it or just try to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very adorable and rather economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s super handy in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, however sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the very best deal.
Something that actually enticed me about the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no demand to sanitize the within or decontaminate of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior from time to time as dirt settles on it, but other than that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of protected room to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may look like a great deal of work to get the Ooni prepared up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of three) but I assure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You just connect the lp and also allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely practical on a weeknight and also we have not prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience because I assume that preparing and also making food really can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a whole lot even more job. Generally, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a really easy, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and cooking the pizzas is pretty very easy.
It’s additionally very lightweight and mobile so I can totally see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior space, a little storage space to maintain it completely dry, as well as delight in having a drink outside while you prepare supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.