Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being fairly preferred as well as it’s not hard to see why! They offer a very easy and fast means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill however extremely flexible since they can get to such a high temperature and cook all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and finally obtained ours just a couple of months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered about whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my tricks, tips, as well as thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and also thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to select from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and also gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also specifications you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of being able to use gas as well as likewise wanted a bigger size to ensure that we had the choice to cook larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your outdoor area may truly spark some joy for you as well as make pizza evening a lot more amazing!
Also, this is a well-made, high quality cooking device that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to use it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally put together out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that propane storage tank as well as having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, yet below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time locating a propane tank, and afterwards as soon as we discovered one we needed to find a location to get it filled up. Luckily, our regional hardware store had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to travel far, yet I called a TON of areas prior to I might even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may assume! It was certainly less complicated than I expected it to be. Once you link the lp tank, you just transform it as much as high and also let it heat up for 20 minutes. Then lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple minutes. My partner and I were both happily stunned at just how simple the Ooni is to utilize as well as exactly how enjoyable it is to see the pizza chef!
The wonderful component is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the amazing spot which offers you extra control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of room to move the pizza around and likewise a good range between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it starts to cook too rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube videos that stated turning the warm to cooking and also low it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature might be less complicated. With that stated, our preferred cooking approach is to:
- Heat the oven over for about 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warm to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs approximately for regarding 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit worried about the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the heat just right and keep it moving. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that after just a pair pizzas you truly begin to obtain the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just wasn’t fairly prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard cooking process. Utilizing the pizza oven is super very easy and also I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel too. This will make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, however we use all-purpose with no issues.
- You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, as well as then run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the a lot more most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out because my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a expert. This will certainly provide you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Do not include a lot of toppings to your pizza. Another means to make certain that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly suggest including half of what you ‘d typically include in a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, as well as the even more toppings you have, the trickier it is. Maintain it straightforward and leading lightly. This is not the time to make your signature added additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain distracted. You desire your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to completely shed in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hesitant yet hopeful that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza although it just makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred littles throughout, the crust hurts on the within as well as very crisp outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might attempt to continue to explain exactly how tasty the pizza is, however let me simply say, you will be impressed at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s cost-effective and cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d very recommend the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit a lot more difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we need to buy it or simply try to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are truly getting your cash’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off too. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute and also quite affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s very helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty similar, yet occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best deal.
One thing that truly tempted me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no need to sanitize or sterilize the within of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior every so often as dust chooses it, however besides that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t take up excessive space. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rain will assist it last much longer. If you don’t have any type of protected area to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a great deal of job to get the Ooni prepared up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of 3) yet I guarantee you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you simply attach the gas and allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s completely doable on a weeknight and also we have not prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it provides. I do state experience due to the fact that I believe that making and also preparing food truly can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a lot even more job. I was anticipating the configuration to be a trouble, the actual cooking and also prepping to be a bit time-consuming, and also I had not been sure what the cleansing procedure involved. Generally, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is really a truly basic, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is quite easy. As well as clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also really lightweight and also mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside space, a little bit of storage space to maintain it completely dry, and enjoy having a beverage outside while you cook supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.