Exterior pizza ovens are becoming rather preferred and it’s not hard to see why! They offer a fast as well as very easy means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill but incredibly versatile because they can get to such a high temperature as well as prepare all type of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also finally got ours simply a couple of months ago. I understand you’ve been curious about whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my tricks, pointers, and also ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and also thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to choose from, which means there’s likely one that will fit your demands and budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and specifications you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we suched as the ease of being able to utilize gas and also wanted a bigger size to make sure that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your outdoor area may actually spark some pleasure for you and make pizza night extra exciting!
Additionally, this is a durable, high quality food preparation appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally put together out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to buy a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas storage tank. Finding that propane container and also having it filled might have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not sure why, yet right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time finding a lp storage tank, and then once we found one we needed to locate a place to get it filled. The good news is, our local equipment shop had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to travel far, however I called a TON of locations prior to I might even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could think! Reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it prepare for a couple mins.
The nice part is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front best side is the awesome spot which offers you extra control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of space to move the pizza around and also a good range between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare too swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. Nevertheless, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that said transforming the heat to low as well as cooking it awhile longer at a lower temperature may be much easier. With that said claimed, our favored food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warm to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or two for concerning 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit worried regarding the understanding curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to get the warmth perfect as well as keep it relocating. Nevertheless, I was happily shocked to locate that after just a couple pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
I think we get a little far better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and also topping. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I just had not been rather ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult food preparation procedure. I can NOT have actually been extra incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is super easy and also I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out also big unless you’re very comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to set up the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly separate a one pound sphere of dough in 2, and afterwards present two pizzas from that.
- Don’t strain the dough. The trick to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. Due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist, I actually lucked out. He advises using your fingers to carefully develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms up until it gets large enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards very thin in the center. This will certainly offer you that trademark timber fired pizza oven structure you’re looking for. If the crust is also thick in the middle it will not prepare all the way via.
- Don’t include a lot of toppings to your pizza. Another method to guarantee that your pizza cooks through, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and also the even more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. Keep it simple as well as top lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark added extra cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. You desire your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly melted immediately.
Go here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was doubtful however hopeful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost similar to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You get those perfectly charred bits all over, the crust is tender on the within and also incredibly crisp on the outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might try to continue to describe exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me just say, you will be amazed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s affordable and cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I wasn’t certain if we should acquire it or simply try to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off too. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable as well as quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s super useful in understanding if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp as well as is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite comparable, but occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the most effective offer.
Something that really attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no demand to disinfect the within or disinfect of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the outside every so often as dust decides on it, yet apart from that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of protected area to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni all established up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of 3) yet I assure you, it’s really not. You simply attach the lp and also let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience due to the fact that I think that cooking as well as making food really can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a great deal even more work. In general, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a actually basic, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is rather very easy.
It’s also extremely lightweight and portable so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor area, a little storage area to keep it completely dry, as well as delight in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.