Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming fairly prominent and also it’s not hard to see why! They offer a quick as well as easy way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill however incredibly flexible because they can reach such a high temperature and also prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as ultimately got ours simply a couple of months back. I recognize you’ve wondered regarding whether I believe it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my thoughts, suggestions, and also methods – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints and ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood as well as gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also requirements you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the ease of having the ability to use gas as well as additionally wanted a bigger size to make sure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior location might truly stimulate some pleasure for you and make pizza night more exciting!
This is a well-crafted, top quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely put together out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane tank. I’m not sure why, yet here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time locating a lp tank, and also then as soon as we found one we had to find a location to get it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could think! Lower the warm, toss your pizza in, and also let it cook for a pair mins.
The nice part is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the cool place which gives you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of room to move the pizza around as well as additionally a excellent range in between the pizza and the fire itself in case it starts to cook as well swiftly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. Nonetheless, for beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that claimed turning the warmth to low and cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp could be simpler. With that said stated, our chosen cooking approach is to:
- Warmth the oven above for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs approximately for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit nervous about the understanding curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little tricky to get the heat ideal as well as keep it moving. I was happily shocked to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you truly start to obtain the hang of it!
I think we get a little far better each time as we best the dough shaping and covering. However truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply wasn’t rather all set to tackle what I believed was mosting likely to be a challenging food preparation procedure. I can NOT have actually been more wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely simple and also I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel as well. This will certainly make it less complicated to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, but we use all-purpose without any issues.
- Do not roll the crust out as well big unless you’re very comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly separate a one pound round of dough in two, and after that present two pizzas from that.
- Do not overwork the dough. The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly prevailed since my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. He recommends using your fingers to gently develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth between your hands/forearms till it obtains large enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards very slim between. This will give you that signature wood discharged pizza oven texture you’re searching for. If the crust is also thick in the middle it won’t prepare completely with.
- Do not include a lot of toppings to your pizza. One more means to guarantee that your pizza cooks via, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d typically contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a routine oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and also the even more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. Maintain it leading as well as simple gently. This is not the time to make your trademark extra extra cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was unconvinced yet hopeful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza even though it just utilizes gas. You obtain those completely charred littles all over, the crust is tender on the inside and also very crisp on the outside, as well as celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I can attempt to remain to define how delicious the pizza is, yet let me simply claim, you will be impressed at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s cost-effective and cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit a lot more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth about. I had not been sure if we should purchase it or simply try to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually obtaining your cash’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off as well. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming as well as quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s incredibly handy in knowing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite comparable, yet in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the most effective deal.
Something that actually enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no requirement to disinfect or sterilize the within of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the outside from time to time as dirt decides on it, but aside from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage as well as it does not use up excessive area. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rainfall will aid it last much longer. If you don’t have any type of protected space to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a whole lot of work to obtain the Ooni all established up just to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of 3) yet I guarantee you, it’s truly not. You just attach the gas and let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience because I think that preparing as well as making food truly can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a whole lot more work. I was anticipating the setup to be a trouble, the real prepping and preparing to be a bit taxing, and I wasn’t certain what the cleansing process required. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a actually basic, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is rather simple. And clean-up is practically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s additionally extremely light-weight and portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside space, a little storage area to keep it dry, as well as enjoy having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.