Outside pizza ovens are becoming fairly prominent and it’s not tough to see why! They provide a simple and quick way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill but extremely flexible considering that they can get to such a high temperature and also prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as finally got ours just a couple of months earlier. I recognize you’ve wondered regarding whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my thoughts, ideas, as well as techniques – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all viewpoints as well as thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to pick from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will fit your demands and budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and also gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the size as well as specs you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we suched as the convenience of having the ability to utilize gas and likewise desired a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area may actually spark some joy for you and also make pizza evening extra amazing!
This is a well-crafted, quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely assembled out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp storage tank. Finding that gas tank as well as having it filled up could have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m unsure why, however below on the West shore, we had a heck of a time locating a lp tank, and afterwards as soon as we found one we had to locate a place to get it filled. Thankfully, our neighborhood hardware store had one left, as well as the gasoline station down the street can load them so we really did not need to travel much, yet I called a TON of locations before I can also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could believe! Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, and also allow it prepare for a couple mins.
The nice component is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the awesome spot which provides you a lot more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around as well as also a great distance in between the fire and the pizza itself in case it starts to cook as well quickly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that said turning the warmth to cooking and also reduced it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature could be less complicated. Keeping that said, our liked cooking approach is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the heat to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds approximately for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit nervous about the knowing curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to obtain the warm ideal as well as maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly amazed to locate that after just a couple pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little better each time as we perfect the dough shaping as well as covering. But truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in package for a few weeks due to the fact that I just had not been rather prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a tough food preparation procedure. I could NOT have actually been much more incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is super easy and also I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently powder the pizza peel too. This will make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, but we use all-purpose without any problems.
- Do not roll the crust out too huge unless you’re extremely comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally split a one extra pound round of dough in two, and then present two pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. I truly prevailed because my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional. He advises using your fingers to carefully produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms till it obtains huge sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then really slim in the center. This will give you that signature wood discharged pizza oven structure you’re looking for. , if the crust is too thick in the middle it will not cook all the way through.
- Don’t include as well numerous toppings to your pizza. Another method to ensure that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it really minimally. I ‘d recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. You want your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to completely melted immediately.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was hesitant however confident that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles throughout, the crust hurts on the inside and incredibly crisp outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might attempt to continue to explain exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me simply say, you will be surprised at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s economical and cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely advise the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit much more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I had not been certain if we should acquire it or just try to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming and also pretty inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s super useful in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty comparable, but often they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the very best offer.
Something that truly enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s truly no requirement to sanitize the inside or disinfect of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the exterior every so often as dust decides on it, yet besides that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and also it doesn’t use up too much room. Keeping it out of the snow and also rain will certainly help it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any type of protected space to keep it though.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a whole lot of work to get the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of 3) yet I ensure you, it’s truly not. You just link the lp as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience since I assume that making as well as cooking food actually can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a lot even more work. In general, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a truly straightforward, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty simple.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s additionally extremely light-weight and also portable so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside space, a little storage space to keep it dry, as well as take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.