Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being rather popular and also it’s not hard to see why! They supply a quick and also very easy method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill but very versatile because they can reach such a heat and also cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as ultimately got ours simply a few months ago. I recognize you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my methods, ideas, and thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and also opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to pick from, which means there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands and also budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and also gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size as well as specifications you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of being able to utilize gas as well as additionally desired a larger size to make sure that we had the choice to cook larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your exterior area might actually trigger some happiness for you and make pizza evening much more interesting!
Also, this is a reliable, quality food preparation home appliance that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely set up out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank. Tracking down that gas container as well as having it filled may have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m unsure why, but right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time finding a gas container, and then when we located one we needed to find a area to get it filled up. Luckily, our neighborhood hardware shop had one left, and also the gas station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to take a trip much, but I called a TON of places prior to I could even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might think! Reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, and let it cook for a pair mins.
The wonderful component is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front right side is the great place which gives you much more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of space to move the pizza around and additionally a excellent range in between the pizza and the flame itself in case it begins to prepare too swiftly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that said transforming the heat to cooking as well as low it for a little bit much longer at a lower temperature could be simpler. Keeping that said, our favored food preparation technique is to:
- Heat the oven above for about 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warm to low and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or so for about 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit nervous regarding the knowing contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the heat ideal and keep it relocating. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly stunned to find that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to master it!
I think we get a little better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and also topping. However honestly, we maintained our Ooni in package for a few weeks because I simply wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a difficult food preparation procedure. I could NOT have been much more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is very simple and also I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it less complicated to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, however we use all-purpose with no issues.
- Do not roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re really comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll have to construct the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly divide a one pound ball of dough in two, and after that turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out because my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional. This will certainly give you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Don’t include also many garnishes to your pizza. One more way to guarantee that your pizza cooks via, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that particular pizza. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to perfectly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was cynical yet confident that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You get those completely charred littles throughout, the crust is tender on the inside and also incredibly crisp outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can try to continue to define just how delicious the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will be astonished at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s inexpensive and cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth about. I wasn’t sure if we should buy it or just search for something else comparable online. Allow me save you some time and energy. There is nothing available that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the outright perfect size, includes a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it back and forth. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s worth. It was likewise rather straightforward to assemble – or at least I didn’t hear my partner swear excessive while he was placing it with each other and also I assume it was done in less than an hr, despite having a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels as well. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable and pretty affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat yet I’ve listened to that it’s extremely useful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather similar, but sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
One point that really tempted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no requirement to decontaminate or sanitize the within of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the exterior every so often as dirt settles on it, but other than that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any type of covered area to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might feel like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni prepared up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of three) yet I guarantee you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply link the gas and also let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s totally manageable on a weeknight and also we have not cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. Since I assume that making and also preparing food actually can be an experience, I do state experience.
My overall ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a lot more job. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a inconvenience, the real prepping and also preparing to be a little bit taxing, and I wasn’t certain what the cleansing process required. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a really simple, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, and cooking the pizzas is rather simple. As well as clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s also really lightweight and mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside space, a little bit of storage space to keep it dry, and enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.