Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be quite prominent as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a fast and also very easy means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill but extremely functional given that they can reach such a high temperature as well as cook all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and ultimately got ours simply a few months ago. I recognize you’ve been curious concerning whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m below to share my thoughts, pointers, as well as tricks – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions as well as thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to choose from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your demands as well as budget plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as specs you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we suched as the ease of having the ability to use gas and also wanted a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside area might really spark some delight for you and also make pizza evening extra exciting!
This is a durable, high quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally set up out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
You will need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas container if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that gas storage tank and having it filled could have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m unsure why, but here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time finding a propane storage tank, and then once we found one we had to locate a location to get it filled up. Fortunately, our local hardware store had one left, and the filling station down the street can load them so we really did not have to take a trip much, yet I called a TON of places prior to I might even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could assume! Reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a couple mins.
The good part is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the trendy spot which gives you a lot more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of room to move the pizza around as well as also a good distance between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it starts to prepare too promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. For novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that said turning the heat to reduced as well as cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temperature could be less complicated. Keeping that claimed, our liked cooking method is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the heat to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit anxious regarding the learning contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little difficult to obtain the warm ideal and maintain it relocating. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly shocked to find that after just a pair pizzas you really start to master it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply had not been fairly all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging cooking procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly easy as well as I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out also big unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I typically split a one extra pound round of dough in two, and then turn out two pizzas from that.
- The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually lucked out since my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional. This will offer you that signature wood terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Don’t include a lot of garnishes to your pizza. One more way to make sure that your pizza chefs through, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d typically include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a routine oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, as well as the even more toppings you have, the harder it is. Keep it straightforward and also top lightly. This is not the time to make your signature added additional cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. You desire your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was enthusiastic however skeptical that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred bits around, the crust hurts on the within and also very crisp outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might try to remain to define exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will certainly be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s cost-effective as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit extra troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I had not been sure if we need to buy it or simply attempt to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels too. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and also quite budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s very useful in understanding if the pizza oven has risen to temp and is ready to cook!
>> Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, however in some cases they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the very best deal.
One point that really enticed me about the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no need to decontaminate or sanitize the within of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior every now and then as dirt picks it, but aside from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of protected area to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may feel like a lot of job to get the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of 3) yet I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply connect the gas and also allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely workable on a weeknight and we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience because I assume that preparing and also making food really can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a lot more job. Overall, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a truly basic, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and cooking the pizzas is rather easy.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s likewise really lightweight as well as mobile so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor area, a bit of storage space to keep it completely dry, and also delight in having a beverage outside while you cook supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.