Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming fairly preferred and it’s not hard to see why! They use a very easy and also fast method to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill yet incredibly functional considering that they can get to such a high temperature and prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as lastly got ours just a couple of months back. I know you’ve been curious about whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my thoughts, techniques, and also ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all point of views as well as ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to pick from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands and budget plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and also gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as requirements you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the convenience of being able to make use of gas as well as likewise desired a larger dimension so that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outside area might truly stimulate some happiness for you and make pizza night extra interesting!
This is a well-made, quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely constructed out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane container. Locating that lp container and having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not sure why, but right here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time discovering a propane container, and then once we discovered one we needed to locate a location to get it filled. Thankfully, our neighborhood equipment shop had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can load them so we didn’t have to take a trip far, however I called a TON of locations prior to I could also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may assume! Lower the heat, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a couple mins.
The great component is that the oven only has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome place which provides you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of space to move the pizza around and additionally a excellent range between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it starts to cook also swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that said transforming the heat to low and also cooking it for a little bit longer at a lower temperature could be much easier. With that said, our chosen food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warmth to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for regarding 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit worried regarding the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the warmth perfect and also maintain it moving. However, I was pleasantly stunned to locate that after just a pair pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just wasn’t rather all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a hard food preparation process. Using the pizza oven is super easy as well as I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly split a one pound ball of dough in two, and afterwards turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The trick to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. Because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist, I actually lucked out. He advises utilizing your fingers to gently create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains big enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards very slim in the center. This will certainly provide you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. If the crust is too thick in the center it won’t cook completely via.
- Don’t add as well lots of garnishes to your pizza. One more means to guarantee that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly recommend including half of what you ‘d typically include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Do not get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to perfectly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hopeful but unconvinced that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just utilizes gas. You obtain those completely charred bits around, the crust hurts on the within and also very crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might attempt to remain to describe exactly how delicious the pizza is, however let me just say, you will certainly be surprised at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s economical and chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly recommend the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. If we ought to buy it or simply attempt to find something else similar online, I wasn’t sure. But let me save you time as well as power. There is nothing out there that approaches this table for cheaper. It’s the absolute best size, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate backward and forward. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your money’s worth. It was additionally pretty basic to put together – or at the very least I really did not hear my companion vouch way too much while he was placing it together and I assume it was done in less than an hr, despite a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable and quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s very handy in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite similar, however in some cases they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the very best bargain.
Something that actually attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no need to sanitize the inside or sanitize of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside periodically as dust settles on it, but aside from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any type of protected space to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might feel like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni good to go up just to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of three) however I guarantee you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You just link the propane and also allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely manageable on a weeknight and also we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience because I assume that making and also cooking food actually can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a great deal more job. I was expecting the setup to be a trouble, the real prepping and preparing to be a bit lengthy, and I wasn’t sure what the cleansing process entailed. Overall, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a really simple, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is rather easy. And also clean-up is practically non-existent.
It’s additionally very lightweight and portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor room, a little storage area to keep it dry, and appreciate having a beverage outside while you cook supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.