Outside pizza ovens are ending up being quite preferred as well as it’s not tough to see why! They provide a quick as well as easy method to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a classic grill but incredibly flexible given that they can reach such a heat and also cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and lastly obtained ours just a couple of months ago. I recognize you’ve been curious regarding whether I believe it’s worth the hype or not so I’m right here to share my thoughts, methods, and also suggestions – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to select from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and also gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and specifications you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of having the ability to use gas as well as likewise wanted a larger dimension to make sure that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your outdoor location may actually spark some happiness for you and make pizza evening much more exciting!
Likewise, this is a durable, top quality cooking device that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely put together out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas storage tank. I’m not sure why, yet right here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time locating a gas storage tank, and also after that when we found one we had to locate a place to obtain it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could think! It was most definitely less complicated than I anticipated it to be. Once you attach the lp storage tank, you just turn it as much as high and allow it heat up for 20 minutes. After that reduced the warmth, toss your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a pair minutes. My partner and also I were both happily surprised at exactly how simple the Ooni is to make use of and also how fun it is to enjoy the pizza cook!
The good component is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the great place which gives you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of space to move the pizza around and likewise a excellent range in between the fire and the pizza itself in case it starts to cook too swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube videos that said turning the heat to cooking as well as low it for a little bit longer at a lower temp may be much easier. With that stated, our liked food preparation technique is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the warmth to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or so for about 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit worried regarding the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to get the warm ideal and maintain it moving. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
I assume we get a little far better each time as we best the dough shaping as well as covering. But truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in package for a few weeks because I simply wasn’t quite ready to tackle what I believed was mosting likely to be a tough cooking process. I might NOT have actually been extra wrong. Using the pizza oven is extremely easy as well as I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the a lot more most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Do not strain the dough. The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. I truly lucked out because my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist. He advises using your fingers to delicately develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms until it obtains big enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then extremely thin between. This will provide you that signature wood terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for. If the crust is as well thick in the middle it will not cook all the way with.
- Do not add too many toppings to your pizza. One more method to make sure that your pizza cooks via, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly advise adding half of what you ‘d typically contribute to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and also the even more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. Keep it straightforward and leading gently. This is not the time to make your trademark added extra cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was enthusiastic but hesitant that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost similar to wood-fired pizza even though it just utilizes gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits around, the crust is tender on the inside and very crisp outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could attempt to continue to define just how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me simply claim, you will be amazed at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s affordable and also chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d highly recommend the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit extra troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I had not been certain if we ought to buy it or simply try to find another thing comparable online. Allow me save you some time and energy. There is absolutely nothing out there that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the outright ideal size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s worth. It was also rather straightforward to assemble – or at the very least I really did not hear my partner swear excessive while he was placing it with each other as well as I assume it was done in less than an hr, even with a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels also. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very adorable and rather economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s very helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, but sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the most effective bargain.
One point that actually tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no demand to disinfect or sterilize the within of it. Clearly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior once in a while as dust decides on it, but aside from that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of protected room to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a whole lot of work to get the Ooni all established up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of three) but I assure you, it’s really not. You just attach the gas and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience since I believe that cooking and also making food really can be an experience.
My general ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a whole lot more work. I was expecting the configuration to be a headache, the actual preparing and prepping to be a bit lengthy, and also I had not been sure what the cleansing process involved. In general, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a actually basic, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is quite easy. And also clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s likewise really lightweight as well as mobile so I can totally see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor area, a little storage area to maintain it completely dry, as well as take pleasure in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.