Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being quite prominent as well as it’s not hard to see why! They supply a fast and simple way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill yet super flexible given that they can get to such a heat as well as cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and ultimately got ours just a few months ago. I understand you’ve wondered concerning whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my ideas, ideas, as well as tricks – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions and also thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to select from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will fit your needs and also budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as specs you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we suched as the convenience of having the ability to utilize gas and likewise desired a bigger size to ensure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior area may actually stimulate some happiness for you and also make pizza evening more interesting!
Likewise, this is a well-crafted, top quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you look after it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely assembled out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
You will certainly require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas container if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that gas storage tank and having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not sure why, but here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time finding a propane container, and after that once we located one we had to discover a location to get it filled up. Luckily, our regional equipment store had one left, as well as the gas station down the street can load them so we really did not have to travel much, however I called a TON of places prior to I might also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might think! Lower the heat, toss your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a couple mins.
The nice part is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front appropriate side is the great area which offers you much more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of room to move the pizza around as well as additionally a good range in between the pizza and the fire itself in case it starts to prepare too quickly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that stated turning the warmth to cooking and low it for a little bit longer at a reduced temperature may be simpler. Keeping that claimed, our chosen cooking technique is to:
- Heat the oven above for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warmth to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit anxious about the knowing contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the warmth just right and maintain it moving. I was happily surprised to find that after simply a pair pizzas you truly start to get the hang of it!
I think we get a little much better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and also topping. Yet truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just wasn’t fairly all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a challenging cooking process. I could NOT have actually been a lot more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is extremely easy and I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out as well big unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I commonly divide a one pound ball of dough in two, and after that turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. Because my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist, I actually lucked out. He recommends using your fingers to carefully develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms up until it gets big sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then very slim in the center. This will certainly provide you that signature wood fired pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. , if the crust is too thick in the middle it will not prepare all the way via.
- Don’t include too many toppings to your pizza. One more way to make sure that your pizza chefs through, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d typically include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a routine oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and also the more garnishes you have, the harder it is. Keep it top as well as basic gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark additional additional cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that particular pizza. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was cynical but hopeful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost the same to wood-fired pizza even though it just uses gas. You obtain those completely charred littles throughout, the crust hurts on the within as well as super crisp outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could attempt to continue to define just how tasty the pizza is, yet let me just say, you will certainly be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s inexpensive and cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I had not been certain if we need to acquire it or just try to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually obtaining your cash’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels also. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable and also pretty affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s super valuable in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather similar, however often they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the very best bargain.
One point that really tempted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no requirement to sanitize the inside or sanitize of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the exterior from time to time as dust picks it, but aside from that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of protected area to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a great deal of job to get the Ooni ready up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of 3) yet I ensure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you simply attach the gas as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely workable on a weeknight and we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience due to the fact that I think that cooking and making food actually can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a whole lot more work. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a actually straightforward, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is rather easy.
It’s also extremely light-weight and also portable so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside space, a bit of storage space to keep it completely dry, and enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.