Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being fairly preferred and also it’s not hard to see why! They use a quick and also easy way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill yet incredibly functional since they can get to such a heat as well as cook all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also lastly obtained ours simply a couple of months ago. I understand you’ve been curious about whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my thoughts, pointers, and also methods – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to select from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands and budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the size as well as specifications you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the ease of being able to make use of gas as well as additionally wanted a larger dimension so that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside area may truly trigger some joy for you as well as make pizza night extra exciting!
Likewise, this is a well-crafted, high quality cooking home appliance that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to use it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely set up out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane tank. Locating that gas tank as well as having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, however below on the West coast, we had a hell of a time locating a lp tank, and after that when we found one we needed to find a place to get it loaded. Thankfully, our local hardware store had one left, and the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to travel much, yet I called a TON of areas before I might also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may think! Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also allow it prepare for a couple minutes.
The wonderful component is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the trendy place which provides you more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around and also a excellent range between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it begins to prepare also promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. Nonetheless, for novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that said turning the warm to cooking and also low it for a bit longer at a lower temperature may be less complicated. With that claimed, our liked food preparation method is to:
- Warm the oven above for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warmth to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or so for regarding 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit nervous regarding the understanding contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little tricky to obtain the warm ideal as well as keep it relocating. I was happily shocked to find that after just a pair pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t quite prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a difficult cooking procedure. Using the pizza oven is incredibly simple as well as I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel. This will make it less complicated to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, yet we use all-purpose with no problems.
- Do not roll the crust out too large unless you’re very comfortable with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to put together the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly separate a one extra pound sphere of dough in two, and afterwards turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out since my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist. This will give you that signature wood fired pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Don’t include too numerous toppings to your pizza. One more method to make sure that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d normally include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to completely melted in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hopeful however unconvinced that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only utilizes gas. You get those flawlessly charred bits around, the crust is tender on the within and super crisp on the outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could attempt to remain to explain just how delicious the pizza is, however let me simply say, you will be amazed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s low-cost and also cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit a lot more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. If we need to get it or just attempt to locate something else similar online, I had not been sure. Let me save you some time and energy. There is nothing available that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the outright perfect dimension, includes a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it back and forth. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s well worth. It was additionally pretty easy to put together – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my companion vow way too much while he was putting it together and also I assume it was done in less than an hour, despite a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels too. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming as well as quite affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s incredibly useful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and also is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite similar, but sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the very best deal.
Something that truly enticed me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s truly no demand to disinfect or sanitize the within of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the exterior once in a while as dust settles on it, however apart from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage as well as it does not use up way too much space. Maintaining it out of the snow and rainfall will certainly assist it last longer. If you don’t have any kind of covered space to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a lot of job to get the Ooni prepared up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of 3) but I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you just attach the lp as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s completely workable on a weeknight as well as we have not cooked a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience due to the fact that I believe that making as well as preparing food really can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a lot more work. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a actually straightforward, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and preparing the pizzas is rather very easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s likewise really lightweight and also mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior room, a bit of storage area to maintain it completely dry, and also delight in having a drink outside while you prepare supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mainly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.