Outside pizza ovens are becoming quite prominent as well as it’s not hard to see why! They provide a quick and also easy method to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill but very flexible considering that they can get to such a heat as well as cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as lastly got ours just a few months ago. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my tips, ideas, and methods – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas as well as viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to pick from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs and budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and requirements you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas as well as likewise wanted a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location may actually spark some happiness for you and also make pizza night more interesting!
This is a durable, top quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to use it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely constructed out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane container. I’m not certain why, however here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time finding a lp storage tank, and also after that as soon as we located one we had to find a location to obtain it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could believe! It was most definitely less complicated than I expected it to be. You simply transform it up to high as well as allow it warm up for 20 minutes as soon as you link the lp storage tank. Then reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a pair minutes. My partner and I were both happily shocked at just how simple the Ooni is to make use of as well as how enjoyable it is to enjoy the pizza chef!
The great part is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the amazing place which gives you a lot more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of room to move the pizza around as well as also a excellent distance in between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it begins to prepare as well promptly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. Nonetheless, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that claimed turning the heat to low as well as cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temp may be easier. With that claimed, our chosen cooking technique is to:
- Heat the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit anxious about the understanding curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little difficult to get the warm ideal and also maintain it relocating. Nonetheless, I was happily stunned to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you truly start to master it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a difficult cooking procedure. Using the pizza oven is incredibly easy as well as I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out too big unless you’re extremely comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll need to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I typically split a one extra pound round of dough in two, and then roll out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. Since my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional, I truly lucked out. He advises using your fingers to carefully produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth between your hands/forearms up until it obtains big enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that very thin between. This will offer you that trademark timber discharged pizza oven appearance you’re looking for. If the crust is too thick between it won’t prepare right via.
- Don’t add too numerous garnishes to your pizza. Another way to ensure that your pizza cooks via, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Do not get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to completely burned immediately.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was skeptical however hopeful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just makes use of gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside as well as incredibly crisp outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I could try to remain to explain exactly how tasty the pizza is, yet let me simply state, you will be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s low-cost as well as cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d highly recommend the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit a lot more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I had not been certain if we should buy it or simply attempt to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels also. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable and also quite affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s super valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, but in some cases they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the most effective offer.
Something that actually enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s truly no requirement to decontaminate or sanitize the within of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the outside periodically as dirt chooses it, however aside from that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t use up way too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow and rain will aid it last much longer. If you do not have any kind of covered area to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover too.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni good to go up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of 3) but I guarantee you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just connect the gas as well as allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely practical on a weeknight and we have not cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience since I assume that preparing and making food truly can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot more job. I was expecting the arrangement to be a trouble, the real cooking and prepping to be a bit time-consuming, and also I wasn’t sure what the cleansing process involved. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a truly easy, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is pretty simple. And clean-up is practically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s also really light-weight and mobile so I can totally see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor space, a bit of storage space to keep it dry, as well as take pleasure in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.