Ooni Lump Charcoal
Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being quite prominent and also it’s not hard to see why! They offer a quick as well as very easy way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill however incredibly functional considering that they can reach such a high temperature and cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as ultimately got ours simply a couple of months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered regarding whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my techniques, ideas, as well as ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas as well as point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to choose from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your demands and also budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and also requirements you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the ease of being able to utilize gas and also desired a larger size to ensure that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your outside area might really trigger some joy for you as well as make pizza evening a lot more interesting!
This is a durable, quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to use it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely put together out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp storage tank. Locating that lp tank as well as having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, but here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time discovering a lp container, and then once we discovered one we had to find a area to get it filled up. The good news is, our neighborhood hardware store had one left, as well as the gasoline station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to travel far, yet I called a TON of areas before I can also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might believe! It was certainly much easier than I anticipated it to be. You simply transform it up to high and let it heat up for 20 mins once you attach the gas storage tank. After that reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and also let it cook for a couple minutes. My companion and also I were both pleasantly amazed at just how simple the Ooni is to make use of and exactly how fun it is to watch the pizza cook!
The nice component is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the trendy spot which offers you a lot more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of space to relocate the pizza around as well as also a excellent range in between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it begins to cook also rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that claimed turning the warm to cooking and also reduced it for a little bit longer at a reduced temp might be much easier. With that said stated, our favored cooking method is to:
- Warm the oven over for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warm to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs approximately for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit anxious regarding the knowing curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to obtain the warmth just right and maintain it relocating. I was happily stunned to find that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
I believe we get a little far better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and topping. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply wasn’t rather all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a challenging food preparation procedure. I can NOT have actually been much more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is super very easy as well as I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out also big unless you’re very comfortable with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to set up the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I commonly divide a one extra pound round of dough in two, and then roll out two pizzas from that.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. I actually prevailed due to the fact that my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional. He advises using your fingers to delicately develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms until it gets huge enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards very slim between. This will offer you that signature timber fired pizza oven structure you’re seeking. , if the crust is as well thick in the middle it won’t prepare all the way with.
- Don’t include too many garnishes to your pizza. One more method to make sure that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend adding half of what you ‘d generally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a normal oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and also the even more toppings you have, the trickier it is. So keep it leading as well as basic gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark extra extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly shed immediately.
Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was cynical yet hopeful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits throughout, the crust is tender on the inside and also incredibly crisp outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could attempt to remain to define just how tasty the pizza is, yet let me simply state, you will certainly be amazed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s low-cost and also cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit much more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I wasn’t sure if we must buy it or simply search for another thing comparable online. But let me conserve you a long time and also energy. There is nothing available that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the outright best dimension, features a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s well worth. It was additionally rather straightforward to assemble – or at least I really did not hear my companion promise too much while he was placing it with each other and also I think it was performed in less than an hour, despite having a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels too. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable and pretty economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s super handy in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and is ready to cook!
>> Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather similar, yet sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the best deal.
One point that truly lured me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no requirement to disinfect or sanitize the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior every so often as dust chooses it, however other than that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of covered area to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could feel like a great deal of job to get the Ooni good to go up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of three) yet I guarantee you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just connect the propane and also let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s completely practical on a weeknight as well as we have not prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it provides. I do say experience because I think that preparing and making food truly can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a great deal more job. I was expecting the configuration to be a hassle, the actual cooking and also prepping to be a little bit taxing, and I wasn’t sure what the cleaning process entailed. Generally, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a truly simple, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty very easy. As well as clean-up is essentially non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s additionally extremely lightweight and portable so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior space, a bit of storage room to keep it dry, as well as take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.