Outside pizza ovens are becoming quite preferred and also it’s not hard to see why! They offer a simple and fast way to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill but incredibly flexible considering that they can get to such a heat and prepare all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and also finally got ours simply a couple of months earlier. I know you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my ideas, techniques, as well as tips – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to select from, which implies there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands and spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and also gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and specifications you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we suched as the simplicity of being able to make use of gas and likewise wanted a larger size to make sure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your exterior location might actually stimulate some pleasure for you and also make pizza night much more amazing!
This is a well-crafted, top quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally put together out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas storage tank. Tracking down that propane tank and having it filled could have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not sure why, however below on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time locating a lp container, and then once we located one we had to find a area to get it filled. The good news is, our regional hardware store had one left, as well as the gas station down the street can load them so we really did not have to travel much, but I called a TON of locations before I can also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might believe! It was definitely less complicated than I expected it to be. Once you link the lp container, you just turn it approximately high as well as allow it warm up for 20 minutes. Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and let it prepare for a pair mins. My companion as well as I were both pleasantly stunned at just how very easy the Ooni is to make use of and just how enjoyable it is to see the pizza cook!
The great component is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome place which offers you more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of area to move the pizza around and additionally a good range between the pizza and the fire itself in case it starts to cook too swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube videos that claimed transforming the heat to cooking and also low it for a little bit much longer at a reduced temperature might be simpler. With that said claimed, our preferred cooking method is to:
- Warmth the oven over for about 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warmth to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for regarding 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit nervous about the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little complicated to obtain the warm perfect as well as maintain it moving. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly amazed to locate that after just a couple pizzas you truly start to master it!
I believe we obtain a little better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and covering. But honestly, we maintained our Ooni in package for a few weeks due to the fact that I just had not been quite ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging cooking process. I can NOT have actually been much more wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is super very easy and also I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll need to construct the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually separate a one extra pound ball of dough in 2, and then turn out two pizzas from that.
- The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out since my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist. This will certainly offer you that trademark timber discharged pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not add a lot of toppings to your pizza. Another method to guarantee that your pizza cooks through, is to top it extremely minimally. I ‘d advise adding half of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and the even more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. So keep it simple and also leading gently. This is not the time to make your trademark additional added cheese pizza!
- Don’t get sidetracked. You desire your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was unconvinced yet confident that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You get those flawlessly charred little bits throughout, the crust is tender on the inside and super crisp on the outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could attempt to remain to define how delicious the pizza is, yet let me just state, you will be amazed at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s cost-effective and also cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we should acquire it or simply try to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming as well as quite budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s very useful in knowing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and also is ready to prepare!
>> Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty comparable, but often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the most effective bargain.
One thing that truly attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s truly no need to sterilize the inside or disinfect of it. Certainly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior every now and then as dirt settles on it, however besides that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of covered space to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might look like a lot of job to get the Ooni prepared up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of three) yet I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just link the lp and let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely manageable on a weeknight and also we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. Since I assume that making as well as preparing food truly can be an experience, I do state experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot even more work. I was expecting the setup to be a hassle, the actual preparing and also prepping to be a little bit lengthy, as well as I had not been certain what the cleansing procedure entailed. Overall, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a actually simple, simple, outside pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is quite easy. And clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s also really lightweight and also portable so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior room, a little storage space to keep it completely dry, as well as enjoy having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.