Outside pizza ovens are coming to be rather popular and it’s not tough to see why! They offer a very easy and fast method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill however super versatile considering that they can get to such a heat and also cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and also ultimately got ours simply a couple of months earlier. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I think it’s worth the hype or not so I’m right here to share my thoughts, techniques, and also suggestions – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions as well as ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to pick from, which means there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and also specs you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of being able to use gas as well as additionally wanted a larger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior area may truly trigger some joy for you as well as make pizza night much more exciting!
Likewise, this is a well-made, top quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it a minimum of a pair times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely set up out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank. Tracking down that propane container and having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, yet right here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time locating a lp tank, and then when we located one we needed to find a area to get it loaded. The good news is, our regional equipment shop had one left, as well as the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to take a trip far, however I called a TON of places before I could also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could believe! It was definitely much easier than I anticipated it to be. As soon as you link the lp tank, you just turn it as much as high as well as let it heat up for 20 mins. Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a couple minutes. My companion and I were both happily surprised at how easy the Ooni is to use and exactly how fun it is to view the pizza chef!
The nice part is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the trendy place which offers you much more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of room to move the pizza around as well as also a excellent range in between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it begins to cook also rapidly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. For amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that said turning the warmth to cooking as well as reduced it for a little bit much longer at a reduced temp could be simpler. With that said claimed, our liked cooking method is to:
- Warm the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie as well as the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit worried concerning the discovering contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the warm just right and also keep it relocating. Nevertheless, I was happily shocked to find that after just a couple pizzas you actually start to master it!
I think we get a little much better each time as we best the dough shaping and also covering. However truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been quite all set to tackle what I thought was mosting likely to be a hard food preparation procedure. I could NOT have actually been more wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly very easy and also I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out also large unless you’re extremely comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually separate a one extra pound ball of dough in 2, and after that present two pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. I actually lucked out because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist. He recommends utilizing your fingers to delicately produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth between your hands/forearms till it gets big enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that really thin in the center. This will certainly offer you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven texture you’re seeking. If the crust is also thick between it will not cook right with.
- Don’t add way too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional way to make sure that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, as well as the even more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. So keep it leading and easy gently. This is not the moment to make your signature extra extra cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly melted immediately.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was cynical but enthusiastic that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only utilizes gas. You get those flawlessly charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the within and extremely crisp on the outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I could attempt to continue to describe just how tasty the pizza is, but let me simply say, you will certainly be amazed at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s affordable and chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely advise the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I wasn’t certain if we ought to buy it or simply try to discover something else similar online. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming as well as pretty cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s very useful in recognizing if the pizza oven has risen to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather similar, however occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the most effective deal.
One point that truly attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no need to decontaminate or sanitize the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior every now and then as dirt chooses it, but apart from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any type of covered space to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a great deal of job to get the Ooni all established up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of three) but I guarantee you, it’s really not. You just attach the propane and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it supplies. Since I think that making as well as cooking food actually can be an experience, I do state experience.
My total thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a great deal even more job. I was expecting the setup to be a trouble, the real cooking and prepping to be a little bit lengthy, and I wasn’t sure what the cleaning process involved. Generally, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a truly basic, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty simple. And also clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s also really lightweight as well as mobile so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior space, a little bit of storage area to keep it completely dry, and enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.