Exterior pizza ovens are becoming quite prominent as well as it’s not hard to see why! They provide a fast as well as simple method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a classic grill but incredibly functional given that they can reach such a heat and cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as lastly got ours just a few months back. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m below to share my ideas, thoughts, and methods – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all point of views and also thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to pick from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also specifications you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the convenience of being able to make use of gas as well as additionally desired a larger dimension to ensure that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your outside area may actually stimulate some joy for you and also make pizza night more amazing!
This is a durable, quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to use it a minimum of a pair times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally constructed out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp container. Locating that gas storage tank and also having it filled could have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, yet here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time finding a gas tank, and after that when we found one we needed to find a place to get it filled. The good news is, our neighborhood equipment store had one left, and the filling station down the street can load them so we really did not need to take a trip far, yet I called a TON of places before I could even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may think! Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a pair minutes.
The nice component is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the cool spot which provides you extra control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of area to move the pizza around and additionally a good range in between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare also promptly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. Nevertheless, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that said turning the warmth to reduced and also cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temperature could be less complicated. With that stated, our chosen food preparation technique is to:
- Warmth the oven over for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warm to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for regarding 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit worried regarding the discovering curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little complicated to get the heat ideal and maintain it moving. I was happily stunned to locate that after just a couple pizzas you truly start to obtain the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I simply had not been fairly prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult cooking process. Making use of the pizza oven is very easy and I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Lightly flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And lightly powder the pizza peel as well. This will certainly make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, however we utilize all-purpose with no concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out also huge unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to put together the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally separate a one pound ball of dough in two, and then turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. Because my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist, I actually lucked out. He advises using your fingers to delicately produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth between your hands/forearms until it obtains large enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then extremely slim in the middle. This will give you that signature timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re seeking. If the crust is as well thick between it won’t cook completely with.
- Do not add a lot of garnishes to your pizza. Another method to make sure that your pizza cooks through, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d normally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a normal oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, as well as the even more toppings you have, the harder it is. Maintain it simple as well as leading gently. This is not the moment to make your signature additional additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to completely melted immediately.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was skeptical yet hopeful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You get those flawlessly charred little bits around, the crust is tender on the inside and also incredibly crisp on the outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might attempt to remain to define how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will be impressed at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s economical as well as chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza transforming wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit much more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we should buy it or simply search for something else comparable online. But let me save you time and power. There is nothing available that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the outright perfect dimension, features a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate to and fro. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your money’s well worth. It was likewise quite straightforward to assemble – or at least I really did not hear my partner swear way too much while he was placing it together and also I believe it was carried out in less than an hr, despite having a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels also. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming and rather budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s very useful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and also is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite comparable, yet occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the very best deal.
One point that truly lured me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no need to decontaminate or disinfect the within of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior from time to time as dirt chooses it, however apart from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and also it doesn’t take up way too much area. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rainfall will certainly aid it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any type of covered space to keep it however.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a whole lot of work to get the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of three) yet I assure you, it’s actually not. You simply link the lp as well as allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. Because I believe that making and preparing food actually can be an experience, I do say experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot even more job. I was expecting the configuration to be a trouble, the real cooking as well as prepping to be a little bit taxing, and I had not been sure what the cleaning process required. In general, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a truly basic, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is pretty easy. As well as clean-up is practically non-existent.
It’s additionally very lightweight and also portable so I can totally see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor room, a little bit of storage room to keep it dry, and enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.