Outside pizza ovens are coming to be fairly popular as well as it’s not hard to see why! They provide a fast and very easy means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill however very functional considering that they can get to such a high temperature and prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as ultimately obtained ours just a couple of months earlier. I recognize you’ve wondered regarding whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my techniques, thoughts, and tips – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and also opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to select from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your needs and also budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and also requirements you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we suched as the ease of having the ability to utilize gas and additionally desired a larger dimension so that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside area might really trigger some happiness for you and also make pizza night extra amazing!
This is a well-made, quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to use it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally assembled out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane storage tank. I’m not certain why, but below on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a lp tank, and then once we discovered one we had to find a place to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could think! Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and also let it prepare for a pair mins.
The good part is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the cool area which offers you a lot more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of area to move the pizza around as well as likewise a great distance in between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it starts to cook as well promptly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that said turning the heat to reduced as well as cooking it for a bit longer at a lower temperature may be less complicated. Keeping that said, our chosen food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for about 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit worried regarding the understanding curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little difficult to obtain the warm just right and maintain it relocating. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly shocked to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
I think we obtain a little much better each time as we best the dough shaping and covering. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I simply had not been fairly prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a tough food preparation process. I could NOT have actually been a lot more incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly easy and I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And lightly powder the pizza peel as well. This will certainly make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, but we make use of all-purpose with no issues.
- Do not roll the crust out also huge unless you’re very comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll have to construct the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I typically separate a one extra pound round of dough in two, and then roll out two pizzas from that.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. Since my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional, I really lucked out. He suggests using your fingers to delicately produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms until it obtains big enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then really thin in the middle. This will certainly give you that trademark wood fired pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. If the crust is too thick in the middle it won’t cook all the way with.
- Don’t include also numerous garnishes to your pizza. One more way to make sure that your pizza chefs via, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Don’t obtain distracted. You desire your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was hesitant however hopeful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You get those flawlessly charred bits around, the crust hurts on the inside and very crisp on the outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can try to remain to describe just how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will certainly be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s cost-effective as well as chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit much more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. If we need to acquire it or simply attempt to find something else similar online, I had not been sure. However let me conserve you a long time as well as power. There is absolutely nothing around that is comparable to this table for less costly. It’s the outright excellent dimension, features a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your cash’s well worth. It was likewise pretty straightforward to assemble – or at the very least I didn’t hear my companion promise too much while he was putting it with each other and I believe it was done in less than an hr, despite having a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off too. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable and also quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s incredibly valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite comparable, however sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the best bargain.
One point that really tempted me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no need to disinfect or sanitize the inside of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside once in a while as dirt picks it, however besides that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of protected space to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni good to go up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of three) but I ensure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you simply connect the propane as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s completely workable on a weeknight and we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. Since I assume that cooking as well as making food really can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My general ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a great deal even more work. I was expecting the setup to be a inconvenience, the real cooking as well as prepping to be a little bit time-consuming, as well as I had not been certain what the cleaning process required. In general, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a truly simple, simple, outside pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is quite easy. And also clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s additionally really light-weight and also mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside space, a little bit of storage room to keep it dry, and enjoy having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.