Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be fairly popular and also it’s not hard to see why! They provide a very easy and also fast means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill however very versatile given that they can reach such a high temperature and also prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and lastly obtained ours simply a couple of months ago. I recognize you’ve been curious about whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my thoughts, ideas, and also tricks – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views as well as thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to pick from, which implies there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands as well as budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and also specs you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the convenience of being able to use gas as well as additionally desired a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outside area might really trigger some delight for you as well as make pizza night more exciting!
Likewise, this is a well-made, high quality cooking home appliance that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you care for it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally put together out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas storage tank. I’m not sure why, yet below on the West shore, we had a heck of a time locating a lp tank, and also after that once we located one we had to discover a location to get it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may think! It was definitely much easier than I anticipated it to be. You just turn it up to high and allow it heat up for 20 minutes when you connect the gas tank. Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a couple minutes. My companion and I were both pleasantly amazed at how simple the Ooni is to use and exactly how fun it is to enjoy the pizza cook!
The good component is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the awesome spot which offers you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of space to relocate the pizza around and likewise a good range in between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare as well swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that said turning the warmth to cooking and also reduced it for a bit much longer at a lower temp may be easier. With that said said, our chosen food preparation method is to:
- Warm the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warmth to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or two for concerning 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a bit nervous about the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the heat perfect and also keep it relocating. Nevertheless, I was happily shocked to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you truly start to get the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little much better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and covering. But truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks because I just wasn’t rather ready to tackle what I thought was mosting likely to be a difficult cooking process. I can NOT have been a lot more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely simple and also I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, yet we make use of all-purpose with no issues.
- You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the extra likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually lucked out since my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional. This will certainly give you that signature timber discharged pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not include way too many toppings to your pizza. Another way to ensure that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it really minimally. I ‘d recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually contribute to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, as well as the more toppings you have, the harder it is. Maintain it top as well as basic gently. This is not the time to make your trademark extra additional cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. You want your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was doubtful but hopeful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only utilizes gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred bits around, the crust is tender on the within and also incredibly crisp on the outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can attempt to continue to define how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me just say, you will certainly be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s economical and chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth about. If we need to get it or just attempt to locate something else comparable online, I wasn’t certain. But let me conserve you some time and energy. There is absolutely nothing available that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the outright perfect dimension, features a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s well worth. It was also quite basic to create – or at the very least I didn’t hear my companion vow too much while he was putting it together and I assume it was done in less than an hour, despite a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute and also pretty economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s very useful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and also prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather similar, however in some cases they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the very best bargain.
One point that really tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no requirement to disinfect the within or decontaminate of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside once in a while as dirt settles on it, yet aside from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of protected space to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a great deal of work to get the Ooni prepared up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of three) however I ensure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you simply link the propane and let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely workable on a weeknight as well as we have not prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. I do state experience since I believe that cooking and also making food truly can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a lot even more job. I was anticipating the setup to be a hassle, the real preparing and prepping to be a bit lengthy, and I wasn’t certain what the cleansing process required. In general, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a really basic, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. The setup fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is rather very easy. As well as clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s likewise extremely lightweight and mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior space, a little bit of storage room to maintain it completely dry, as well as enjoy having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.