Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be fairly preferred and it’s not hard to see why! They offer a simple and quick means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill yet extremely versatile since they can reach such a heat and also cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also finally obtained ours simply a couple of months ago. I understand you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or not so I’m below to share my methods, suggestions, and thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas as well as point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to pick from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your needs and budget plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and also specs you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the simplicity of being able to use gas and also desired a larger size so that we had the choice to cook larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor location may actually spark some delight for you as well as make pizza night extra interesting!
Likewise, this is a reliable, top quality food preparation home appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you look after it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to use it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally constructed out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp container. I’m not sure why, yet here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time discovering a propane storage tank, and also after that as soon as we located one we had to discover a location to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could believe! Lower the warm, toss your pizza in, and let it prepare for a couple mins.
The wonderful part is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front right side is the great spot which gives you a lot more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of space to relocate the pizza around and additionally a excellent range in between the fire and the pizza itself in case it starts to cook also rapidly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. Nonetheless, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that stated turning the heat to reduced and cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature may be easier. With that said claimed, our liked cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven above for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or so for about 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit anxious concerning the understanding contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the heat just right and keep it moving. I was happily stunned to locate that after just a couple pizzas you truly start to obtain the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just had not been quite prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a hard food preparation process. Making use of the pizza oven is super easy as well as I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel. This will make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, yet we utilize all-purpose with no issues.
- Do not roll the crust out too large unless you’re extremely comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I typically split a one extra pound sphere of dough in two, and afterwards turn out two pizzas from that.
- The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out since my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a expert. This will provide you that signature timber fired pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t include too many toppings to your pizza. One more method to guarantee that your pizza cooks through, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a routine oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and the more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. So keep it easy as well as top gently. This is not the moment to make your signature additional added cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that particular pizza. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly melted in a matter of seconds.
Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was unconvinced however hopeful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost identical to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You get those perfectly charred bits throughout, the crust is tender on the within and very crisp on the outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could try to continue to explain how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me simply say, you will be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s economical and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly advise the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit much more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I had not been certain if we need to buy it or just look for another thing similar online. Let me conserve you some time and power. There is absolutely nothing around that is comparable to this table for less costly. It’s the outright perfect size, features a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it to and fro. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your cash’s well worth. It was also quite straightforward to put together – or at least I didn’t hear my companion swear too much while he was putting it together as well as I assume it was carried out in less than an hr, despite a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels also. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming as well as quite cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve listened to that it’s very handy in recognizing if the pizza oven has risen to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite similar, but often they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the most effective offer.
Something that truly enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no requirement to sanitize the within or decontaminate of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior every now and then as dust picks it, however apart from that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and also it does not occupy too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow and rain will assist it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any protected room to keep it however.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might feel like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni prepared up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of three) yet I ensure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just attach the propane as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s completely achievable on a weeknight as well as we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience due to the fact that I think that cooking and making food really can be an experience.
My total ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a great deal more job. I was expecting the arrangement to be a headache, the actual prepping as well as cooking to be a bit time-consuming, and I wasn’t certain what the cleaning process involved. Overall, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a really simple, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, and cooking the pizzas is quite very easy. And also clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s also extremely light-weight and also portable so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior area, a bit of storage area to keep it dry, and delight in having a beverage outside while you cook supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.