Ooni Koda Tips And Tricks
Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being fairly preferred as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a fast as well as simple method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill yet extremely functional given that they can reach such a heat and prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and finally obtained ours just a few months ago. I know you’ve wondered concerning whether I assume it’s worth the hype or not so I’m below to share my suggestions, techniques, and also thoughts – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to choose from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands and budget plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and also gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and also requirements you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we liked the ease of being able to utilize gas and additionally desired a larger size to ensure that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outdoor area may really spark some joy for you and make pizza night much more interesting!
Additionally, this is a durable, quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you look after it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely constructed out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas tank. Tracking down that propane container and also having it filled up could have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, yet here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time finding a propane tank, and after that as soon as we located one we needed to locate a location to get it filled up. Fortunately, our local equipment store had one left, and also the gas station down the street can load them so we really did not need to travel much, however I called a TON of places prior to I could also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could assume! Lower the warm, throw your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair minutes.
The wonderful part is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the trendy area which gives you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of space to relocate the pizza around and likewise a excellent range in between the fire and the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare too rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that said turning the heat to cooking and also reduced it for a bit longer at a reduced temp may be less complicated. With that stated, our favored cooking approach is to:
- Warm the oven above for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit worried about the understanding curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little challenging to get the warm perfect as well as keep it relocating. Nonetheless, I was happily shocked to locate that after just a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little much better each time as we excellent the dough shaping as well as covering. Yet honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just wasn’t rather prepared to tackle what I believed was mosting likely to be a difficult food preparation procedure. I can NOT have been extra wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly easy as well as I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel too. This will make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, however we use all-purpose without any concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out too huge unless you’re extremely comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly split a one extra pound ball of dough in 2, and afterwards present two pizzas from that.
- Do not overwork the dough. The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. I actually lucked out because my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. He recommends utilizing your fingers to gently create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it to and fro in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains huge enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then extremely thin in the center. This will give you that signature wood fired pizza oven texture you’re looking for. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t cook all the method via.
- Don’t include too many toppings to your pizza. An additional method to ensure that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d suggest including half of what you ‘d generally contribute to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and the more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. Maintain it leading and basic lightly. This is not the time to make your signature added extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. You want your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly shed in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was confident yet skeptical that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost the same to wood-fired pizza although it just makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred littles around, the crust hurts on the within and incredibly crisp outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could try to continue to define exactly how tasty the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will certainly be amazed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s inexpensive and also cooks really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I wasn’t sure if we must get it or just attempt to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off too. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute and quite cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s very valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has stood up to temp as well as is ready to cook!
>> Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, yet occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best deal.
One point that truly attracted me about the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no need to decontaminate or sterilize the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the outside once in a while as dirt chooses it, but other than that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any type of covered room to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of 3) however I guarantee you, it’s really not. You simply connect the lp and also let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. I do say experience due to the fact that I assume that making and preparing food actually can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a lot even more work. In general, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a really basic, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is quite easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s additionally very lightweight and also mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor room, a little bit of storage area to maintain it completely dry, as well as enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.