Outside pizza ovens are ending up being fairly prominent and also it’s not tough to see why! They supply a easy and also quick way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill but super versatile given that they can reach such a heat and also cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also ultimately got ours just a few months ago. I know you’ve wondered regarding whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my thoughts, suggestions, as well as tricks – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts as well as point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to select from, which indicates there’s likely one that will fit your needs and also spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and specifications you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of being able to make use of gas and additionally wanted a larger size to ensure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside area might really stimulate some joy for you as well as make pizza night much more amazing!
Likewise, this is a well-crafted, high quality cooking device that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you care for it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to use it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely set up out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp container. I’m not sure why, however here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time discovering a gas container, and after that as soon as we discovered one we had to find a location to get it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may assume! It was certainly less complicated than I expected it to be. You just turn it up to high as well as let it warm up for 20 minutes as soon as you connect the gas storage tank. Reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also allow it prepare for a pair minutes. My companion as well as I were both happily shocked at just how very easy the Ooni is to make use of and how fun it is to view the pizza chef!
The wonderful component is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the cool place which gives you much more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of room to relocate the pizza around and additionally a great distance between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it starts to cook too quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. Nonetheless, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that stated turning the warm to low as well as cooking it for a bit longer at a lower temperature may be easier. Keeping that claimed, our liked food preparation approach is to:
- Warm the oven above for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warm to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or so for about 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit worried about the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little difficult to get the heat just right and also maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly amazed to find that after just a pair pizzas you truly start to obtain the hang of it!
I believe we obtain a little better each time as we best the dough shaping as well as topping. Yet truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just had not been fairly ready to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard food preparation process. I could NOT have been more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely easy and also I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the much more most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out due to the fact that my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist. This will give you that signature wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t include too numerous garnishes to your pizza. Another method to make certain that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly recommend including half of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Do not get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was doubtful however hopeful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred little bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside and also super crisp on the outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can try to continue to explain exactly how delicious the pizza is, yet let me simply claim, you will be surprised at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive as well as cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I had not been sure if we should purchase it or just try to find something else similar online. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels as well. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very adorable and rather economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve listened to that it’s super handy in knowing if the pizza oven has risen to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather comparable, yet occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the best offer.
One point that truly tempted me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no need to disinfect the within or sanitize of it. Certainly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior every now and then as dust picks it, but other than that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage as well as it doesn’t occupy too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow as well as rain will certainly aid it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any type of covered area to store it though.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a lot of work to get the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of three) yet I guarantee you, it’s truly not. You simply connect the gas and also allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it delivers. Since I think that preparing and making food truly can be an experience, I do state experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal more job. On the whole, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a truly easy, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty easy.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s also very light-weight and portable so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior room, a bit of storage room to keep it completely dry, and also appreciate having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.