Ooni Koda Problems
Outside pizza ovens are becoming fairly prominent and it’s not hard to see why! They supply a quick and easy way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill however very flexible since they can reach such a heat and also cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as ultimately obtained ours just a few months earlier. I recognize you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my methods, pointers, and also ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and also opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to select from, which implies there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs and spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and also gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and specs you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of having the ability to utilize gas as well as additionally wanted a bigger dimension so that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside location might really stimulate some happiness for you as well as make pizza evening extra amazing!
Additionally, this is a well-crafted, quality food preparation appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally set up out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas container. I’m not sure why, yet right here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time discovering a propane storage tank, and also after that once we located one we had to find a location to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might believe! Reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple minutes.
The good component is that the oven only has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the cool place which provides you extra control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of room to move the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent range between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare too quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. Nonetheless, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that said turning the warm to low as well as cooking it awhile much longer at a reduced temperature may be much easier. Keeping that stated, our preferred food preparation method is to:
- Heat the oven on high for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warm to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or so for about 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit anxious regarding the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to get the heat perfect and also maintain it moving. I was pleasantly amazed to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you truly start to get the hang of it!
I assume we get a little better each time as we best the dough shaping as well as topping. However honestly, we kept our Ooni in package for a few weeks due to the fact that I just had not been rather ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough food preparation procedure. I could NOT have actually been a lot more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is very simple as well as I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, yet we utilize all-purpose with no problems.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well large unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I usually split a one extra pound sphere of dough in 2, and after that turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually lucked out because my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. This will provide you that signature timber terminated pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Do not include too numerous garnishes to your pizza. An additional way to make certain that your pizza chefs with, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend including half of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Don’t obtain distracted. You want your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to completely burned immediately.
Visit this site to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was confident however cynical that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost identical to wood-fired pizza although it just makes use of gas. You get those completely charred littles around, the crust hurts on the inside and also extremely crisp outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can try to remain to define exactly how tasty the pizza is, yet let me simply claim, you will certainly be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s cost-effective as well as chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit extra difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. If we need to buy it or just attempt to discover something else comparable online, I wasn’t certain. Allow me conserve you some time as well as power. There is absolutely nothing out there that is comparable to this table for less expensive. It’s the outright perfect size, includes a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate to and fro. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s worth. It was also quite simple to put together – or a minimum of I really did not hear my partner promise way too much while he was putting it with each other and also I believe it was performed in less than an hour, despite a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels too. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute as well as rather budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s very helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has risen to temp and also is ready to prepare!
>> Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite comparable, however sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the most effective deal.
One point that truly lured me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no need to sanitize the within or sanitize of it. Certainly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside every now and then as dust chooses it, yet besides that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and it does not use up too much area. Keeping it out of the snow and also rainfall will assist it last longer. If you don’t have any type of protected area to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover too.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni ready up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of three) but I guarantee you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just link the propane as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s completely doable on a weeknight and also we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it provides. Because I assume that cooking and also making food actually can be an experience, I do state experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a lot even more job. I was expecting the setup to be a hassle, the actual prepping and cooking to be a little bit time-consuming, and also I had not been sure what the cleaning procedure required. Generally, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a really simple, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, and preparing the pizzas is quite easy. And clean-up is practically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s additionally extremely light-weight and portable so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior space, a bit of storage area to keep it dry, and also delight in having a drink outside while you cook dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.