Ooni Koda Pizza Tips
Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be fairly preferred and it’s not hard to see why! They use a very easy and fast method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill yet extremely functional because they can reach such a high temperature and prepare all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and lastly obtained ours just a few months back. I know you’ve been curious regarding whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my techniques, ideas, and pointers – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and also opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to select from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements as well as spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and also gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and also specs you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we suched as the ease of being able to make use of gas and likewise wanted a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area may actually spark some joy for you as well as make pizza night more exciting!
Likewise, this is a well-made, quality food preparation appliance that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you care for it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely put together out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp tank. Tracking down that lp container and also having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, however below on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a propane storage tank, and afterwards when we discovered one we needed to locate a area to get it filled. Thankfully, our regional equipment shop had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can load them so we really did not need to travel far, but I called a TON of places before I can even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might think! It was absolutely simpler than I anticipated it to be. You simply transform it up to high and allow it heat up for 20 minutes once you link the lp storage tank. After that reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair minutes. My partner as well as I were both pleasantly surprised at exactly how simple the Ooni is to make use of and also exactly how enjoyable it is to see the pizza chef!
The good part is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the cool area which gives you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of space to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a great range between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it begins to prepare also swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. Nevertheless, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the warm to cooking as well as low it for a bit longer at a lower temp might be simpler. With that said stated, our chosen cooking method is to:
- Warmth the oven above for about 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warm to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or so for about 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit anxious about the knowing curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little difficult to get the warm perfect as well as maintain it relocating. I was happily surprised to find that after just a pair pizzas you actually start to obtain the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I simply wasn’t quite ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a hard cooking procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly very easy as well as I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well big unless you’re extremely comfortable with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly separate a one extra pound sphere of dough in 2, and after that turn out two pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The trick to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. Since my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist, I actually lucked out. He advises utilizing your fingers to carefully create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it backward and forward between your hands/forearms up until it obtains huge sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then extremely thin between. This will certainly give you that signature timber terminated pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. If the crust is also thick in the middle it won’t cook right via.
- Don’t add as well numerous garnishes to your pizza. One more means to make sure that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d suggest including half of what you ‘d normally include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Don’t obtain distracted. You desire your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was cynical but enthusiastic that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza even though it just uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles all over, the crust hurts on the inside and extremely crisp outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could attempt to continue to define just how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me simply state, you will be amazed at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s inexpensive and chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely advise the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. I wasn’t certain if we need to buy it or simply look for something else similar online. Allow me save you some time as well as energy. There is absolutely nothing available that approaches this table for cheaper. It’s the outright excellent dimension, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s well worth. It was also pretty basic to create – or a minimum of I really did not hear my companion vow too much while he was placing it with each other and also I believe it was done in less than an hour, despite having a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute and rather inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve listened to that it’s extremely practical in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
>> Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather comparable, yet occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the best deal.
Something that actually attracted me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no demand to disinfect or sanitize the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior once in a while as dirt picks it, yet apart from that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any protected room to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a lot of work to get the Ooni all established up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of 3) yet I guarantee you, it’s really not. You simply link the gas and let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. I do state experience due to the fact that I believe that cooking as well as making food truly can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a whole lot even more work. On the whole, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a truly basic, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty easy.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s likewise very light-weight as well as mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior room, a bit of storage room to maintain it dry, and also enjoy having a drink outside while you cook supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.