Outside pizza ovens are becoming quite prominent as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a quick and also simple way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill however very functional since they can get to such a heat and cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also finally obtained ours simply a few months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or not so I’m right here to share my ideas, techniques, and also thoughts – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions and thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to pick from, which means there’s likely one that will fit your demands and budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and requirements you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of having the ability to make use of gas and likewise desired a larger size to ensure that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior area might truly trigger some joy for you and also make pizza night much more interesting!
This is a reliable, quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely put together out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane container. Locating that lp container and having it filled might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not exactly sure why, but right here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time discovering a gas tank, and afterwards as soon as we discovered one we had to discover a location to get it filled up. Luckily, our neighborhood hardware shop had one left, and also the filling station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to take a trip much, however I called a TON of areas before I might even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might believe! It was most definitely less complicated than I anticipated it to be. You simply turn it up to high as well as let it heat up for 20 mins when you link the propane storage tank. Then lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a pair mins. My partner and I were both happily stunned at exactly how easy the Ooni is to make use of and also how enjoyable it is to enjoy the pizza chef!
The nice part is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the great area which offers you more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of space to move the pizza around and likewise a good range in between the pizza and the flame itself in case it begins to cook also swiftly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that claimed turning the warm to cooking as well as reduced it for a little bit longer at a reduced temp may be much easier. With that said, our chosen food preparation method is to:
- Warm the oven above for about 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warmth to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs approximately for about 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit anxious regarding the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the warm just right and also keep it moving. However, I was happily amazed to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you really start to master it!
I believe we obtain a little far better each time as we best the dough shaping and covering. But truthfully, we kept our Ooni in package for a few weeks because I simply wasn’t quite prepared to tackle what I assumed was mosting likely to be a challenging cooking procedure. I might NOT have been a lot more incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is very simple and also I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re extremely comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to set up the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly separate a one extra pound round of dough in two, and then turn out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. Because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert, I actually lucked out. He suggests using your fingers to gently produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms until it obtains big enough. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then very thin in the middle. This will certainly provide you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. If the crust is also thick in the center it won’t prepare all the way with.
- Do not add also several toppings to your pizza. One more method to ensure that your pizza chefs with, is to top it extremely minimally. I ‘d suggest adding half of what you ‘d typically include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly burned immediately.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was doubtful yet confident that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza even though it only utilizes gas. You obtain those perfectly charred bits around, the crust hurts on the within and super crisp on the outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can attempt to remain to explain exactly how delicious the pizza is, however let me simply claim, you will be amazed at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s inexpensive as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit extra cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I had not been certain if we need to acquire it or just attempt to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very adorable and also pretty economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s incredibly handy in recognizing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather similar, yet often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the very best deal.
Something that really attracted me about the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no need to sanitize or sterilize the within of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior every so often as dust decides on it, but besides that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t take up too much area. Keeping it out of the snow and rainfall will assist it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any covered room to save it though.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni all established up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of three) but I guarantee you, it’s truly not. You just attach the lp and let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. Because I think that preparing and making food actually can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a great deal more work. I was anticipating the configuration to be a headache, the actual cooking and also prepping to be a bit time-consuming, and I wasn’t sure what the cleansing procedure required. On the whole, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a really straightforward, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, and cooking the pizzas is quite easy. And also clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s likewise really lightweight and portable so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior room, a little storage area to maintain it completely dry, and also take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.