Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming rather prominent and it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a fast and also easy method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill however incredibly flexible because they can get to such a heat and cook all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and ultimately got ours simply a few months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my thoughts, techniques, and tips – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas as well as viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to pick from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will fit your needs as well as budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as specs you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we liked the simplicity of being able to utilize gas and likewise wanted a larger dimension to make sure that we had the choice to cook larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your exterior area might really trigger some joy for you and also make pizza evening much more amazing!
Likewise, this is a well-made, quality food preparation home appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely assembled out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp storage tank. Tracking down that propane tank and also having it filled may have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not exactly sure why, yet here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time discovering a propane container, and after that as soon as we found one we needed to locate a area to get it filled up. Luckily, our local hardware store had one left, and also the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to take a trip much, but I called a TON of locations prior to I might even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may think! Reduced the warmth, toss your pizza in, and let it cook for a couple mins.
The nice component is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the awesome place which offers you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of area to relocate the pizza around and likewise a good range in between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it starts to cook too promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that claimed turning the heat to low and cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temp may be less complicated. With that said said, our preferred cooking approach is to:
- Heat the oven over for about 15-20 mins.
- Lower the heat to low and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or so for about 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a bit worried about the knowing curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the warm ideal and maintain it moving. However, I was happily surprised to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been rather ready to tackle what I thought was going to be a challenging food preparation procedure. Using the pizza oven is extremely easy and I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel. This will make it less complicated to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, yet we utilize all-purpose with no issues.
- Do not roll the crust out also large unless you’re extremely comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally separate a one pound round of dough in 2, and after that roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I truly lucked out due to the fact that my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. This will give you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not include too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to ensure that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly suggest adding half of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that particular pizza. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to completely burned immediately.
Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was enthusiastic however hesitant that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza although it just makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred littles around, the crust is tender on the inside and also super crisp on the outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can try to remain to describe exactly how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply say, you will certainly be astonished at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s cost-effective and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. I wasn’t certain if we need to buy it or simply search for something else comparable online. Allow me conserve you some time and also energy. There is nothing around that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the outright excellent dimension, comes with a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s worth. It was additionally rather easy to assemble – or at the very least I really did not hear my companion vow too much while he was placing it with each other and I assume it was performed in less than an hour, despite a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable as well as quite budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s super valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite similar, but often they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the best deal.
One thing that really lured me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no need to disinfect or disinfect the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside periodically as dirt settles on it, yet other than that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any protected space to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of three) however I assure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply link the gas and also let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s completely practical on a weeknight and we have not cooked a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. Because I think that cooking as well as making food really can be an experience, I do say experience.
My total ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a whole lot even more job. I was expecting the setup to be a headache, the real preparing and also prepping to be a bit taxing, and also I had not been certain what the cleaning process involved. Generally, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a actually easy, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and cooking the pizzas is quite simple. And also clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s additionally very lightweight and portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior space, a little storage space to maintain it dry, and enjoy having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mostly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.