Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being quite popular and it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a quick as well as easy method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill but super flexible since they can get to such a high temperature and also prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also lastly obtained ours simply a couple of months back. I understand you’ve been curious regarding whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my tips, ideas, as well as techniques – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas as well as opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to choose from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements as well as budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood as well as gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the size as well as requirements you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we liked the ease of having the ability to use gas and likewise desired a larger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to cook larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior location might actually spark some delight for you and make pizza evening a lot more exciting!
This is a well-made, top quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it a minimum of a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally set up out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza rock in it!
You will require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that propane tank and having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, however below on the West shore, we had a heck of a time finding a lp container, and then as soon as we located one we needed to find a location to get it filled up. The good news is, our neighborhood hardware store had one left, and also the gas station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to take a trip much, but I called a TON of areas before I could also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might think! It was definitely easier than I expected it to be. When you link the lp storage tank, you simply transform it approximately high and let it heat up for 20 minutes. Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a couple minutes. My companion as well as I were both happily shocked at just how very easy the Ooni is to utilize and also how fun it is to watch the pizza chef!
The great part is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front best side is the amazing place which offers you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of area to move the pizza around as well as also a great distance in between the fire and the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare too promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. Nonetheless, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube videos that claimed turning the warm to cooking and also low it awhile much longer at a reduced temp may be simpler. Keeping that stated, our preferred food preparation approach is to:
- Warm the oven above for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit nervous about the discovering contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little complicated to obtain the heat just right and also maintain it relocating. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly shocked to discover that after just a couple pizzas you actually start to master it!
I believe we get a little far better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and also covering. Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just had not been fairly all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a difficult cooking process. I might NOT have actually been a lot more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is super very easy as well as I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, but we use all-purpose with no issues.
- You’ll have to set up the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, and also after that run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the a lot more most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. I truly prevailed because my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional. He suggests using your fingers to delicately produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms until it gets huge enough. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards extremely slim in the center. This will give you that signature timber discharged pizza oven texture you’re searching for. If the crust is also thick in the middle it won’t cook right via.
- Don’t include too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to guarantee that your pizza chefs with, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly advise including half of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, as well as the even more garnishes you have, the harder it is. Keep it top and simple lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature added added cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain distracted. You want your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to flawlessly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was hopeful however cynical that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza even though it only utilizes gas. You obtain those completely charred bits throughout, the crust is tender on the inside and also very crisp outside, as well as celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might try to remain to define exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me just say, you will be impressed at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s cost-effective and also cooks really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit much more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth about. I wasn’t sure if we need to buy it or simply attempt to discover something else similar online. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels as well. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute and also rather budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly handy in understanding if the pizza oven has stood up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, however sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the best deal.
One point that really attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no demand to disinfect or sterilize the within of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior every so often as dirt decides on it, yet aside from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any type of protected area to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could feel like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni prepared up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of three) however I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply connect the propane and also let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely manageable on a weeknight and we have not prepared a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it provides. I do state experience due to the fact that I think that making as well as cooking food really can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a great deal more work. In general, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a actually easy, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is quite simple.
It’s likewise extremely lightweight as well as mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor area, a little storage room to maintain it dry, and enjoy having a drink outside while you cook dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.