Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being rather popular and it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a simple and also quick way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill yet incredibly flexible considering that they can reach such a high temperature as well as cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and ultimately got ours just a few months ago. I understand you’ve been curious about whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my thoughts, tricks, and also tips – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all viewpoints and also ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to pick from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will fit your demands as well as budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and also specs you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we liked the convenience of having the ability to use gas as well as additionally wanted a bigger size so that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location may actually spark some joy for you and also make pizza night a lot more interesting!
This is a durable, top quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely put together out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp container. Tracking down that propane container and also having it loaded may have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m unsure why, yet here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time locating a propane tank, and then when we located one we needed to locate a place to get it loaded. Luckily, our local hardware store had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to travel much, but I called a TON of areas before I could also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might assume! Lower the heat, toss your pizza in, and let it prepare for a couple minutes.
The wonderful component is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the amazing place which gives you much more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of room to relocate the pizza around and also a excellent range in between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it begins to cook as well quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. However, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that said turning the warm to cooking as well as reduced it for a bit longer at a lower temp could be much easier. With that said stated, our favored cooking technique is to:
- Heat the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warmth to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit anxious regarding the knowing curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little complicated to obtain the warm ideal as well as maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly amazed to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you truly start to get the hang of it!
I believe we get a little much better each time as we ideal the dough shaping as well as covering. Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t rather ready to tackle what I thought was going to be a challenging food preparation procedure. I might NOT have actually been a lot more incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly simple and also I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out as well large unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to set up the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually separate a one pound ball of dough in two, and after that turn out two pizzas from that.
- The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually lucked out due to the fact that my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a expert. This will offer you that trademark wood fired pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Do not add a lot of toppings to your pizza. One more way to make certain that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, as well as the more garnishes you have, the harder it is. Keep it top as well as simple lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature extra added cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. You want your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to completely melted in a matter of seconds.
Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hopeful however unconvinced that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza although it only utilizes gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred littles throughout, the crust hurts on the inside as well as super crisp on the outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can attempt to continue to describe how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me just claim, you will be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s inexpensive and cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely advise the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit extra cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we ought to buy it or simply try to discover something else similar online. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming and pretty cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve listened to that it’s very helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and also is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite similar, however sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the most effective offer.
One point that really tempted me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no need to disinfect or sanitize the within of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the outside from time to time as dust chooses it, yet besides that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of protected area to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of 3) yet I assure you, it’s truly not. You simply connect the propane and let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience since I assume that preparing and also making food actually can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a whole lot even more work. In general, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a really simple, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is pretty simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s also really light-weight and also portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior room, a bit of storage room to keep it dry, and also enjoy having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.