Ooni Koda Hacks
Outside pizza ovens are coming to be fairly preferred and it’s not hard to see why! They supply a easy and fast method to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill but extremely functional since they can reach such a high temperature as well as prepare all type of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and also ultimately got ours simply a couple of months back. I know you’ve been curious about whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my techniques, pointers, and thoughts – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views as well as thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to pick from, which suggests there’s likely one that will fit your demands and also spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the size as well as requirements you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we suched as the ease of being able to utilize gas as well as additionally desired a larger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior area may actually stimulate some pleasure for you and also make pizza evening extra exciting!
This is a durable, top quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely set up out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp tank. I’m not sure why, however below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time discovering a lp storage tank, and also after that as soon as we discovered one we had to locate a location to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may assume! It was absolutely simpler than I anticipated it to be. You simply transform it up to high as well as let it warm up for 20 minutes as soon as you link the gas tank. Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and also allow it prepare for a pair mins. My partner and also I were both happily shocked at how very easy the Ooni is to use as well as how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza cook!
The wonderful part is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front right side is the great spot which offers you more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a excellent range between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it starts to cook too rapidly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. For beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube videos that claimed turning the warm to cooking and also low it for a little bit much longer at a lower temperature might be less complicated. Keeping that claimed, our chosen cooking approach is to:
- Heat the oven on high for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the heat to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds approximately for about 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit worried regarding the discovering curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the warmth perfect as well as maintain it relocating. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly stunned to find that after just a couple pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just wasn’t rather ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging cooking process. Utilizing the pizza oven is very very easy as well as I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it less complicated to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, yet we use all-purpose with no issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out also big unless you’re extremely comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually separate a one extra pound ball of dough in 2, and then present 2 pizzas from that.
- The trick to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out since my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a expert. This will offer you that signature wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Don’t include way too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to ensure that your pizza cooks through, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly advise adding half of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a normal oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and also the more toppings you have, the harder it is. Keep it simple as well as top gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark extra extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that particular pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was doubtful but hopeful that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You get those flawlessly charred bits around, the crust is tender on the inside as well as very crisp outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might try to remain to describe exactly how tasty the pizza is, yet let me just say, you will certainly be astonished at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s inexpensive and also cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit extra troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. I had not been sure if we need to purchase it or simply attempt to discover something else similar online. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off also. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming as well as pretty budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly practical in knowing if the pizza oven has risen to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
>> Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty comparable, however sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the best deal.
One thing that truly enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no need to decontaminate or sterilize the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior from time to time as dirt settles on it, however apart from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any type of protected area to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni good to go up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of 3) but I ensure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just link the lp and allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s totally manageable on a weeknight and also we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. I do state experience because I believe that cooking as well as making food actually can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a lot even more job. Generally, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a really simple, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and preparing the pizzas is quite simple.
It’s also extremely light-weight and also mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor space, a little storage space to keep it completely dry, and also appreciate having a drink outside while you cook dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Primarily simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.