Ooni Koda Gas Pizza Oven Reviews
Outside pizza ovens are ending up being quite prominent and also it’s not tough to see why! They offer a simple as well as fast way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill however extremely functional since they can get to such a high temperature and also prepare all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also lastly got ours just a couple of months back. I understand you’ve been curious regarding whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my thoughts, methods, and also tips – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all point of views and thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to choose from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements and budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and also gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and also specifications you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the ease of having the ability to utilize gas as well as also wanted a larger size so that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your outside area may actually spark some delight for you and also make pizza evening much more interesting!
This is a reliable, quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally constructed out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas tank. Tracking down that lp storage tank and also having it loaded may have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m unsure why, but below on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time discovering a lp tank, and after that as soon as we found one we needed to locate a location to get it filled. Fortunately, our regional hardware shop had one left, as well as the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to travel much, however I called a TON of places before I might also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may believe! Lower the warm, toss your pizza in, and also let it prepare for a couple mins.
The great part is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front appropriate side is the great area which offers you more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of space to relocate the pizza around and also a good range in between the flame and the pizza itself in case it starts to cook as well swiftly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. Nonetheless, for amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that said transforming the heat to low and also cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp could be simpler. Keeping that said, our preferred cooking technique is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the warm to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs approximately for concerning 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit worried about the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little challenging to get the warm ideal and keep it relocating. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly stunned to discover that after just a pair pizzas you really begin to master it!
I assume we get a little better each time as we best the dough shaping and also covering. Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a challenging cooking process. I can NOT have actually been a lot more wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is super simple and I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel too. This will make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, however we utilize all-purpose without any issues.
- Do not roll the crust out also large unless you’re very comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to set up the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally separate a one pound sphere of dough in 2, and then turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I truly lucked out due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist. This will certainly give you that signature wood terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Do not add too many toppings to your pizza. Another means to ensure that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d generally include in a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and also the more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. Maintain it top and simple gently. This is not the moment to make your signature additional additional cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to flawlessly shed immediately.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was enthusiastic however cynical that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only utilizes gas. You obtain those completely charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside and also incredibly crisp outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could try to remain to define exactly how tasty the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will certainly be astonished at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s low-cost as well as chefs really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely advise the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit a lot more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. If we must get it or just attempt to discover something else similar online, I had not been certain. Yet let me save you some time as well as energy. There is nothing available that is comparable to this table for less costly. It’s the absolute ideal size, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s well worth. It was additionally rather easy to assemble – or at least I really did not hear my companion swear way too much while he was putting it with each other as well as I think it was performed in less than an hour, despite having a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming and also quite budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s extremely helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has risen to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
>> Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite comparable, however often they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
One thing that really tempted me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no need to sterilize the inside or decontaminate of it. Certainly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside from time to time as dirt picks it, but apart from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any covered room to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of 3) yet I guarantee you, it’s truly not. You just link the lp as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience because I believe that cooking and making food truly can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a lot more job. In general, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is really a truly basic, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and preparing the pizzas is rather simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s likewise really light-weight as well as mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside room, a bit of storage space to maintain it completely dry, and also delight in having a beverage outside while you cook supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.