Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being rather prominent as well as it’s not tough to see why! They use a easy and fast way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill yet extremely functional because they can reach such a high temperature and also cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as ultimately obtained ours simply a few months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my ideas, tricks, and also thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions and also thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to select from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and also specifications you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we liked the ease of having the ability to make use of gas as well as additionally desired a larger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior area may actually spark some happiness for you and make pizza evening more amazing!
Also, this is a reliable, top quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for many years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally constructed out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane tank. Finding that propane container and having it filled could have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, but here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time locating a lp tank, and afterwards once we located one we needed to locate a place to get it loaded. The good news is, our regional hardware store had one left, as well as the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to travel much, but I called a TON of places before I could also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may believe! It was absolutely simpler than I expected it to be. You simply transform it up to high and also let it heat up for 20 minutes as soon as you connect the lp tank. Then lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a pair mins. My partner as well as I were both happily stunned at exactly how simple the Ooni is to utilize and also exactly how fun it is to enjoy the pizza chef!
The good component is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome place which offers you much more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of area to relocate the pizza around and also a excellent distance in between the fire as well as the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare too promptly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that stated transforming the warm to low and cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp may be simpler. With that said, our preferred food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven on high for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the warm to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs approximately for about 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit nervous regarding the discovering contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little challenging to get the warm perfect and maintain it moving. I was happily amazed to locate that after just a couple pizzas you truly start to obtain the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I simply wasn’t fairly all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a challenging food preparation process. Using the pizza oven is extremely easy and also I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel. This will make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, but we make use of all-purpose without any issues.
- Do not roll the crust out as well large unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I typically divide a one pound sphere of dough in two, and after that turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- The trick to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist. This will certainly give you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Do not add also numerous toppings to your pizza. One more method to ensure that your pizza chefs via, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Do not obtain sidetracked. You desire your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to perfectly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hesitant however confident that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost similar to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You obtain those completely charred littles all over, the crust is tender on the within and also very crisp on the outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might try to remain to explain just how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me just say, you will be amazed at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s cost-effective and also cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit extra difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I had not been certain if we ought to buy it or just search for something else comparable online. Let me conserve you some time and power. There is absolutely nothing around that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the absolute perfect dimension, features a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it backward and forward. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your money’s well worth. It was also rather easy to assemble – or at least I really did not hear my companion vow excessive while he was placing it together and I think it was done in less than an hr, despite having a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming as well as pretty economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s very handy in recognizing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp as well as is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty similar, however occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the very best deal.
One point that really enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no need to sterilize the inside or sanitize of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside every so often as dust settles on it, but other than that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage as well as it doesn’t occupy too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow as well as rain will certainly aid it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any type of protected room to store it though.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a lot of job to get the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of 3) yet I ensure you, it’s truly not. You just link the propane and allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience since I believe that cooking and making food actually can be an experience.
My general ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a lot more job. I was anticipating the setup to be a trouble, the actual prepping and also preparing to be a little bit taxing, as well as I had not been sure what the cleaning process involved. On the whole, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a really easy, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty easy. And clean-up is virtually non-existent.
It’s likewise really lightweight and mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor space, a little storage space to keep it dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.