Ooni Koda Forum
Outside pizza ovens are becoming rather popular and it’s not hard to see why! They provide a fast as well as easy way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a classic grill but very functional since they can reach such a high temperature and also cook all type of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also finally obtained ours simply a few months ago. I know you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my tricks, tips, and ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and also opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to select from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will fit your demands and also spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and specs you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we liked the simplicity of having the ability to use gas as well as additionally desired a larger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your outdoor location might actually spark some delight for you as well as make pizza night a lot more exciting!
Likewise, this is a durable, top quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for several years as long as you look after it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally constructed out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
You will need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that lp container and having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, however below on the West coast, we had a hell of a time locating a lp storage tank, and then when we located one we had to discover a location to get it loaded. Luckily, our regional equipment store had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can load them so we really did not need to travel far, but I called a TON of areas prior to I can even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may think! It was definitely simpler than I anticipated it to be. You just turn it up to high and also let it warm up for 20 minutes when you connect the gas container. After that reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a pair minutes. My partner and I were both pleasantly stunned at just how very easy the Ooni is to make use of and exactly how fun it is to see the pizza chef!
The nice part is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front appropriate side is the cool place which offers you a lot more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of room to move the pizza around and likewise a good range between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it starts to prepare too promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. Nonetheless, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that said turning the warmth to reduced and cooking it awhile much longer at a reduced temp may be simpler. With that said, our chosen cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven over for about 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warmth to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or two for concerning 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit worried concerning the knowing curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little complicated to obtain the warmth perfect and keep it moving. However, I was pleasantly shocked to find that after simply a pair pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been rather all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a challenging cooking procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is super simple and I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel. This will make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, yet we use all-purpose without any issues.
- Do not roll the crust out too large unless you’re really comfortable with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to put together the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I usually divide a one pound sphere of dough in two, and then roll out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. Due to the fact that my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist, I actually lucked out. He recommends using your fingers to gently develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms until it gets big sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that really slim in the center. This will provide you that signature wood discharged pizza oven appearance you’re seeking. , if the crust is too thick in the middle it won’t cook all the means with.
- Do not add also many toppings to your pizza. Another way to make sure that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Do not get distracted. You want your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly shed immediately.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hopeful however unconvinced that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza although it just utilizes gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred littles all over, the crust hurts on the within as well as extremely crisp on the outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might attempt to continue to explain how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me simply claim, you will certainly be surprised at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s cost-effective as well as cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely advise the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I wasn’t certain if we ought to buy it or simply search for another thing similar online. But let me conserve you some time and power. There is nothing out there that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the outright excellent size, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate backward and forward. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your cash’s worth. It was also pretty basic to assemble – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my companion swear way too much while he was putting it together and I believe it was done in less than an hour, despite having a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable and also rather budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s extremely practical in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
>> Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite comparable, however in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the most effective bargain.
Something that actually enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no demand to sanitize or sterilize the inside of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside every now and then as dirt decides on it, but aside from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t take up way too much room. Keeping it out of the snow and also rainfall will aid it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any kind of covered area to save it though.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a great deal of work to get the Ooni good to go up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of 3) yet I ensure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you just attach the gas and also let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely doable on a weeknight and also we have not cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it supplies. Due to the fact that I believe that making and preparing food really can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a lot more job. I was expecting the setup to be a hassle, the actual prepping as well as cooking to be a little bit time-consuming, as well as I wasn’t certain what the cleaning procedure entailed. In general, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a truly basic, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is rather simple. As well as clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s additionally really light-weight and mobile so I can totally see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor space, a little bit of storage room to keep it dry, and also take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.