Ooni Koda Cooking Tips
Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be fairly preferred and also it’s not hard to see why! They use a simple as well as quick way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill however extremely flexible considering that they can get to such a high temperature and prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and also ultimately obtained ours simply a few months back. I understand you’ve wondered regarding whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my techniques, suggestions, as well as thoughts – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to choose from, which means there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements as well as spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and specifications you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of being able to use gas and also wanted a larger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior location may truly stimulate some pleasure for you as well as make pizza night much more exciting!
Additionally, this is a reliable, high quality cooking device that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely assembled out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas storage tank. Locating that propane storage tank and having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not sure why, however right here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time locating a propane storage tank, and then as soon as we found one we had to find a location to get it filled up. Fortunately, our neighborhood equipment shop had one left, and also the gas station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to travel much, but I called a TON of places before I could even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could think! Reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it prepare for a couple minutes.
The great part is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the amazing spot which provides you much more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of area to move the pizza around as well as also a good distance in between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it starts to cook too swiftly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube videos that stated turning the warm to reduced and also cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temp could be less complicated. With that said stated, our favored cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven above for about 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warm to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs approximately for about 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit anxious concerning the knowing curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the warmth perfect and keep it relocating. I was happily surprised to find that after simply a pair pizzas you truly begin to obtain the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a challenging food preparation procedure. Using the pizza oven is extremely simple and also I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Lightly powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel as well. This will certainly make it much easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, yet we utilize all-purpose with no problems.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, and also after that run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the a lot more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. Because my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist, I actually lucked out. He recommends using your fingers to carefully produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains big sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then extremely slim in the middle. This will certainly provide you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re looking for. If the crust is too thick in the center it won’t prepare completely through.
- Don’t add a lot of garnishes to your pizza. Another way to make sure that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d typically contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a routine oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, as well as the more toppings you have, the trickier it is. Maintain it leading and easy gently. This is not the moment to make your signature extra added cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to perfectly burned in a matter of seconds.
Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hesitant but hopeful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost similar to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits around, the crust hurts on the within and also incredibly crisp on the outside, as well as celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I can attempt to remain to describe how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me simply claim, you will be astonished at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s economical as well as chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly advise the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I wasn’t certain if we need to buy it or just look for another thing comparable online. Let me conserve you some time and energy. There is nothing available that approaches this table for cheaper. It’s the absolute excellent dimension, includes a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it to and fro. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s well worth. It was also quite basic to put together – or at least I really did not hear my partner vouch too much while he was putting it with each other and also I think it was done in less than an hr, despite having a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and quite affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly valuable in recognizing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp as well as is ready to prepare!
>> Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, however sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the best offer.
Something that really attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s truly no need to sanitize or sanitize the within of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the exterior once in a while as dirt picks it, yet aside from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any covered room to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a whole lot of work to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of three) yet I ensure you, it’s really not. You simply link the gas and also allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience since I think that making as well as cooking food truly can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a lot even more job. I was expecting the configuration to be a hassle, the actual preparing as well as prepping to be a bit taxing, and also I wasn’t sure what the cleansing process involved. On the whole, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a actually basic, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty simple. As well as clean-up is virtually non-existent.
It’s likewise extremely light-weight and mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside room, a little bit of storage area to keep it dry, and also appreciate having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.