Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being quite preferred and also it’s not hard to see why! They supply a very easy and also quick means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill however extremely functional given that they can get to such a high temperature and cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and finally obtained ours simply a few months back. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my techniques, thoughts, and also ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to pick from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands and spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber as well as gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as specs you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of being able to use gas and additionally wanted a bigger size so that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. However, including a pizza oven to your exterior area might actually spark some delight for you and also make pizza evening a lot more exciting!
This is a well-made, high quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely set up out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and also placed the pizza rock in it!
You will require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that gas container and also having it filled might have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, but below on the West coast, we had a heck of a time finding a propane tank, and after that once we discovered one we had to locate a area to get it filled up. The good news is, our local hardware store had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to take a trip much, but I called a TON of locations prior to I could also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could assume! Lower the warm, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it prepare for a couple mins.
The wonderful component is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the great place which gives you a lot more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a good range between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it begins to prepare also promptly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. Nevertheless, for amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube videos that claimed turning the warmth to low and also cooking it awhile much longer at a lower temp could be much easier. Keeping that said, our chosen cooking technique is to:
- Warmth the oven above for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs approximately for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a bit anxious about the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the heat ideal as well as maintain it relocating. I was happily amazed to find that after just a pair pizzas you truly begin to obtain the hang of it!
I think we get a little better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and covering. Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been quite ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough cooking procedure. I might NOT have been a lot more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is very very easy and also I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel. This will make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, yet we utilize all-purpose without any issues.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and also then run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the much more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually lucked out because my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. This will give you that signature wood fired pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not add as well several toppings to your pizza. An additional means to make certain that your pizza cooks via, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Don’t get distracted. You desire your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was cynical yet hopeful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza although it only makes use of gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits around, the crust is tender on the within as well as incredibly crisp outside, as well as celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might attempt to remain to explain just how tasty the pizza is, but let me simply say, you will be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s affordable and chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit much more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I had not been sure if we ought to buy it or simply attempt to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are truly getting your cash’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off too. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and also quite budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s very useful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather comparable, but in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best deal.
Something that truly enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no requirement to sterilize the inside or decontaminate of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the outside from time to time as dust settles on it, but apart from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any protected space to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of three) however I assure you, it’s truly not. You just attach the lp as well as allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience due to the fact that I believe that making as well as cooking food truly can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot more work. I was anticipating the configuration to be a hassle, the actual preparing and prepping to be a bit taxing, as well as I had not been sure what the cleaning procedure entailed. In general, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a truly simple, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty easy. And also clean-up is practically non-existent.
It’s also really lightweight and portable so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor space, a bit of storage area to keep it dry, as well as delight in having a drink outside while you prepare supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.