Ooni Koda Cart
Exterior pizza ovens are becoming rather prominent as well as it’s not tough to see why! They provide a fast as well as simple means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill however super flexible because they can get to such a high temperature as well as cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as lastly obtained ours simply a few months ago. I understand you’ve wondered regarding whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m below to share my ideas, methods, and thoughts – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all viewpoints and also ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to pick from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood as well as gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as requirements you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we suched as the convenience of having the ability to use gas and also desired a bigger size so that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior area might really spark some pleasure for you and also make pizza evening a lot more exciting!
This is a well-crafted, high quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally constructed out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
You will certainly require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that propane tank as well as having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not sure why, yet right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time discovering a gas tank, and afterwards once we discovered one we needed to locate a area to get it filled up. Luckily, our local equipment shop had one left, and also the gas station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to take a trip much, but I called a TON of areas prior to I can also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may believe! It was certainly easier than I anticipated it to be. You just turn it up to high and also allow it warm up for 20 mins once you connect the propane container. Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and also allow it prepare for a pair mins. My companion and I were both happily shocked at exactly how easy the Ooni is to use and also just how fun it is to see the pizza cook!
The nice part is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the amazing place which gives you more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of area to relocate the pizza around and also a good range between the fire and the pizza itself in case it starts to cook too rapidly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. For novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the warm to low and cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temperature could be easier. Keeping that stated, our chosen cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warm to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or so for concerning 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit nervous regarding the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little challenging to get the warm just right and maintain it relocating. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly amazed to discover that after just a couple pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I just had not been quite ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard food preparation procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly easy as well as I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Lightly flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And lightly powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, yet we utilize all-purpose with no concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out too big unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I generally split a one pound sphere of dough in two, and after that turn out two pizzas from that.
- Do not overwork the dough. The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out due to the fact that my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional. He suggests utilizing your fingers to carefully produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms till it gets huge sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then really slim between. This will offer you that trademark wood fired pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it will not cook all the method via.
- Do not include as well lots of garnishes to your pizza. One more method to make certain that your pizza chefs via, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend adding half of what you ‘d normally include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that particular pizza. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to completely melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was hesitant but confident that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just makes use of gas. You obtain those perfectly charred bits throughout, the crust is tender on the inside and also extremely crisp outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might attempt to remain to describe just how delicious the pizza is, but let me just claim, you will be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s inexpensive and chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I wasn’t sure if we need to get it or just attempt to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are really getting your money’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off as well. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming and also quite cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s very helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
>> Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, however occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the best offer.
Something that actually attracted me about the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no demand to disinfect the inside or sanitize of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior every so often as dirt settles on it, however besides that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any type of covered room to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may look like a lot of work to get the Ooni good to go up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of three) however I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You just link the propane and also let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely doable on a weeknight and also we have not cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it supplies. Due to the fact that I assume that making and cooking food actually can be an experience, I do state experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a whole lot even more job. In general, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a really easy, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is quite simple.
It’s likewise really lightweight as well as portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside space, a bit of storage space to keep it completely dry, as well as appreciate having a drink outside while you cook supper, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.