Ooni Koda Bake Bread
Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being rather popular and it’s not tough to see why! They use a easy and also quick means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill however extremely versatile considering that they can get to such a high temperature and also prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and ultimately got ours just a couple of months back. I recognize you’ve wondered regarding whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my ideas, tricks, as well as pointers – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas as well as viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to pick from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and specifications you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of being able to make use of gas as well as likewise wanted a bigger size so that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your outside area might truly spark some pleasure for you and make pizza night more amazing!
Likewise, this is a durable, high quality food preparation home appliance that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it a minimum of a pair times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally set up out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane container. I’m not certain why, however right here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time locating a propane container, and also then when we located one we had to find a location to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could think! Lower the warm, toss your pizza in, and let it cook for a pair mins.
The nice part is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the cool spot which offers you much more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of room to move the pizza around and likewise a good range in between the fire as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to cook also swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. However, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that claimed turning the heat to low and cooking it awhile much longer at a reduced temp might be simpler. With that said stated, our preferred cooking technique is to:
- Heat the oven above for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or so for about 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit nervous about the understanding curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to obtain the warmth just right as well as keep it relocating. I was pleasantly stunned to find that after simply a pair pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
I think we get a little better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and covering. But honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply had not been rather ready to tackle what I assumed was mosting likely to be a difficult food preparation procedure. I can NOT have actually been extra incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is very easy as well as I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too large unless you’re extremely comfortable with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to put together the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally divide a one pound round of dough in two, and afterwards present two pizzas from that.
- The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out since my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. This will give you that signature timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Don’t include a lot of toppings to your pizza. An additional means to guarantee that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and also the more toppings you have, the harder it is. Keep it leading and also simple lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark added additional cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was confident however skeptical that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just utilizes gas. You get those flawlessly charred bits around, the crust is tender on the inside and also extremely crisp outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can attempt to continue to describe just how tasty the pizza is, however let me simply claim, you will certainly be amazed at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly recommend the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit extra difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. If we need to acquire it or simply attempt to locate something else comparable online, I wasn’t certain. But let me save you some time and energy. There is nothing around that is comparable to this table for less costly. It’s the absolute best dimension, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate backward and forward. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s worth. It was also pretty simple to create – or at the very least I really did not hear my partner swear way too much while he was placing it with each other and I think it was performed in less than an hr, despite a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off also. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute and quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve listened to that it’s extremely practical in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and prepares to prepare!
>> Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty similar, however sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the most effective deal.
One thing that really tempted me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no requirement to sanitize the within or decontaminate of it. Obviously, you’ll require to wipe down the outside from time to time as dirt chooses it, but besides that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and it doesn’t occupy excessive space. Keeping it out of the snow and also rainfall will certainly assist it last much longer. If you don’t have any protected area to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a whole lot of job to get the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of three) however I ensure you, it’s actually not. You just link the lp and also let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience because I believe that making and cooking food actually can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a great deal more work. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a inconvenience, the actual preparing and also prepping to be a little bit time-consuming, and I had not been certain what the cleaning process entailed. Overall, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a truly easy, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and cooking the pizzas is pretty easy. And also clean-up is basically non-existent.
It’s also extremely lightweight and also mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside area, a little storage area to keep it completely dry, and take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.