Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be fairly popular and it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a fast and also very easy way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill yet extremely versatile considering that they can reach such a heat and also prepare all type of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and ultimately got ours just a few months back. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my tips, methods, as well as ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions as well as ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to pick from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands and also spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber as well as gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and also specifications you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the ease of having the ability to utilize gas as well as also desired a larger size to make sure that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside area may truly trigger some happiness for you and make pizza night much more interesting!
This is a reliable, top quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it a minimum of a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely set up out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank. I’m not sure why, but below on the West coast, we had a hell of a time finding a lp tank, and then once we found one we had to discover a location to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could assume! It was definitely less complicated than I expected it to be. You just transform it up to high as well as allow it heat up for 20 mins once you connect the gas tank. Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a couple mins. My companion as well as I were both pleasantly shocked at exactly how easy the Ooni is to make use of as well as just how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza cook!
The great component is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the cool spot which gives you more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of area to move the pizza around as well as likewise a good distance between the flame and the pizza itself in case it begins to cook as well rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. However, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that said transforming the heat to cooking and low it awhile longer at a reduced temperature may be simpler. With that said said, our preferred food preparation approach is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or two for about 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit worried about the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little difficult to obtain the warmth perfect as well as maintain it moving. However, I was happily shocked to locate that after just a pair pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t rather ready to tackle what I thought was going to be a tough cooking procedure. Using the pizza oven is extremely simple and I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out also big unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally split a one pound sphere of dough in two, and afterwards present two pizzas from that.
- Don’t strain the dough. The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. Because my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional, I actually lucked out. He advises utilizing your fingers to carefully develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. After that slapping it to and fro between your hands/forearms until it obtains huge sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that really slim in the center. This will certainly provide you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven structure you’re seeking. If the crust is too thick in the center it won’t cook completely with.
- Do not include as well lots of garnishes to your pizza. An additional way to make sure that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d typically include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Do not get distracted. You desire your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to perfectly shed immediately.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was hopeful however skeptical that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza although it only uses gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred bits around, the crust is tender on the within and also super crisp outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might try to remain to explain how delicious the pizza is, yet let me simply claim, you will certainly be surprised at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s economical as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. If we need to get it or simply attempt to find something else similar online, I wasn’t sure. Yet let me save you a long time and also power. There is nothing out there that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the outright excellent dimension, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it backward and forward. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s well worth. It was also quite easy to put together – or at the very least I didn’t hear my companion vouch too much while he was placing it with each other as well as I believe it was carried out in less than an hr, despite a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming and also rather affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s super helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite comparable, but in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best offer.
Something that actually enticed me about the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no need to decontaminate or sanitize the within of it. Clearly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior periodically as dirt decides on it, yet besides that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t occupy way too much space. Keeping it out of the snow and also rain will assist it last longer. If you don’t have any kind of covered area to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a great deal of job to get the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of 3) but I assure you, it’s truly not. You just link the propane as well as allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience since I believe that making and also cooking food actually can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot more job. I was expecting the setup to be a problem, the actual prepping as well as preparing to be a little bit time-consuming, as well as I wasn’t certain what the cleaning process required. Overall, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a really easy, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is quite very easy. As well as clean-up is basically non-existent.
It’s also really lightweight as well as mobile so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior area, a little storage area to maintain it completely dry, and also delight in having a beverage outside while you cook supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.