Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be rather popular as well as it’s not tough to see why! They provide a easy and quick way to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill yet incredibly functional because they can reach such a high temperature and also prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also finally obtained ours just a few months earlier. I recognize you’ve been curious concerning whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my suggestions, thoughts, as well as techniques – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all viewpoints and also thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to pick from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your needs as well as spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as specifications you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the convenience of having the ability to utilize gas and additionally wanted a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location might truly stimulate some joy for you and also make pizza evening extra interesting!
This is a well-made, high quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually entirely constructed out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp storage tank. I’m not certain why, yet below on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a propane container, and also after that when we found one we had to locate a area to get it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could believe! Lower the warm, throw your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a pair minutes.
The good component is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the awesome area which offers you much more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of area to relocate the pizza around as well as also a great range in between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare as well promptly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that said turning the heat to cooking and low it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature might be easier. With that stated, our favored cooking method is to:
- Warm the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the heat to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or so for concerning 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit anxious regarding the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little tricky to get the heat perfect as well as keep it moving. However, I was happily shocked to find that after just a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply wasn’t rather ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult cooking procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly easy and also I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Gently flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too huge unless you’re extremely comfortable with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually divide a one extra pound ball of dough in 2, and after that turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out since my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. This will certainly give you that signature timber fired pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Do not include too many toppings to your pizza. An additional means to ensure that your pizza chefs via, is to cover it really minimally. I ‘d recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Don’t get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was skeptical however confident that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza even though it only makes use of gas. You get those flawlessly charred bits around, the crust hurts on the within and very crisp on the outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can attempt to remain to define just how tasty the pizza is, yet let me just state, you will be astonished at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s cost-effective and chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d very recommend the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit extra difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we ought to buy it or just try to find something else comparable online. However let me save you some time and also energy. There is nothing around that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the outright ideal size, includes a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your cash’s well worth. It was also rather basic to put together – or at least I really did not hear my partner vow excessive while he was placing it together as well as I assume it was carried out in less than an hour, even with a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute as well as rather budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s incredibly handy in knowing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and also is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty similar, but often they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the best deal.
One point that really lured me about the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no need to sterilize the within or sanitize of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the exterior every now and then as dirt picks it, but other than that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and also it does not take up way too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rain will assist it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any type of protected space to store it however.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a great deal of job to get the Ooni all established up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of 3) but I guarantee you, it’s actually not. You just link the lp and also let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience because I think that making as well as cooking food truly can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a great deal even more work. In general, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a actually simple, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and cooking the pizzas is quite simple.
It’s additionally very light-weight and also portable so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor space, a little bit of storage room to maintain it dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.